Search

Dear Symphonians, It's been a while since I was here, but I ran into an issue with an existing install and wanted to see if you had any advice in the matter.

I got a sym 2.2.5 install running since a year and a half.

It took me some time to figure out but the tables symsessions & symcachlite_references grows very large over time and is eventually causing the server to crash, because mysql is having increasingly difficulties with concurrency. I've seen this for some time but didn't connect it with the stability problems initially.

symcachelitereferences about 30K over a month or so and sym_sessions maybe 100K entries. I'm using the language redirect which seems to be part of the cuase. I've seen this mentioned in the forums, but haven't found a solution.

As a temporary (and brutal) measure I resorted to empty these tables on cache flush. It does the job. It was also a way for me to make sure this was really the cause if the stability problems, and it seems to be the case. But it has the unwanted consequence that everyone gets logged out, which is quite annoying.

What would be the best way to solve this? Upgrade to 2.3.2?

Server facts: PHP Version 5.3.3-7+squeeze14 Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 on x86_64 Debian Linux 6.0

cheers, J

If I'm correct there have been fixes in the core to resolve this issue. It most likely resolves to the time it takes for sessions to expire (two weeks default).

Some extension is most likely setting a session variable for all users which adds to your data. Another possible issue is that the Symphony cookie is not updated; whilst the session is extended by two weeks. Thus you have at least double the number of valid sessions in DB.

Another way to fix it if you're not using sessions to some important use; is to reduce the symphony session length. Currently set to Two Weeks, you could set this to a week or a few days to reduce the problem up until you upgrade or find a more solid solution.

Thanks but no cigar, upgraded to 2.3.2, problem remains.

If I do ?flush=site, the amount of entries in sym _ cachelite _ references stay the same (should be emptied I suppose),

the sym _ sessions increases with 2 entries for every request.

I attach a list of my plugins, tried to update them to the latest versions:

Any hints are appreciated, I'm not sure where to start looking. Could it be the combination of cacheable datasource and cachelite?

thanks J

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 15.35.20 .png

I ended up running a batch job every night that empties the two tables :)

not pretty, but does the job.

it:

1. empties sym _sessions
  2. empties sym _cachelite _references
  3. deletes cache/cache_*
  4. deletes cache/*.xml

seems to work, but are there any potential hasards with this brute approach?