Search

Hi!

Is it possible to "centralize" Symphony on a server (core and exension folders) and keep the other folders on other hosts (for example keeping "workspace" on another server)?

um this looks like a very strange request... are you planning to run multiple symphony installs using the same 'core' but separate workspaces / databases?

Sure, I've done this a few times. Just symlink the symphony and extensions folder from each new folder. Works like a charm.

Yes, right @Gunglien! I would like to do this, using a "single core" for few sites. So, when I'll update symphony core and extensions, I only have to update one time and only on a single installation..

@creativeducthmen great! But in practice how can I do this?

Thanks!

Linux/Mac Host:

ln -s <symlink> <target>

e.g. ln -s /home/user/public_html/example.com/extensions /home/user/symphony/extensions

Windows Host:

mklink -j <symlink> <target>

e.g mklink -j C:\www\example.com\extensions C:\symphony\extensions

Ok, I understand. Thanks! So I have to create this symlink directly on the web server. Is it possible to do the same also with another webserver ("linking" two different web-server)?

@Dave with different webservers it seems a bit weird to do... you have to keep this in mind.

When you update one you have to run the update scripts on all the websites and make sure that no extension breaks.

What I've started doing is this; I created my own 'ensamble' including git stuff & exetnsions. when I need to update something across I just update this main stuff with git. Then I just pull these changes into the separate installs; so I can manage each one separately but without having to re-do all the steps. I just do a pull from my main repo with all the extensions & utilities that I use.

Is it possible to do the same also with another webserver ("linking" two different web-server)?

I wouldn't even think of that. It would make everything very very slow.