Search

Today is not a good day for me. I have tried to install a number of the versions of Symphony available and none of them come packages with any of the core extensions. I cannot also download the latest version of Symphony from this website, instead being met with a nice "not found" message.

I made an ensemble for times like these, only now to realise I am getting 500 server errors whenever I do so much as go near the data source or events pages.

I am frustrate.

Might this also be Downloading the official Symphony Zip Archive is not fully working? Brendo links to a zip in that discussion.

Potentially. This is very much happening now though.

Just tried to download the latest version of symphony. 404 Page not found. Just tried to download symphony 2.2.5. 404 Page not found.

In fact. Just tried to download pretty much anything. 404 page not found.

Is the world ending?

if you try to download from github maybe?

Are you sure the link Brendo linked is not working either? I just gave a try to it now and I was able to download everything.

Brendo's link works fine. I was referring to the download archive on the Symphony website itself not working....

Brendo's link works fine. I was referring to the download archive on the Symphony website itself not working....

Which has been stated that it is not working.

In fact. Just tried to download pretty much anything. 404 page not found.

Can you tell me which resources aren't working other than the zip archive on this site?

We are having trouble with the load balancing of the site, and the sharing of file resources across the instances behind the load balancer.

the forum nerves me the last two days with "service anavaileble". maybee symphony becomes to popular?

I think it's important to remember that we all have our own hiccups maintaining a site. Symphony CMS is a community driven project of volunteers. People who put their time and effort into something that does not pay the bills directly.

Frustration is duly noted, but please respect the fact that the people behind all of this truly CARE about it and the affect it has on everyone using it.

Just a thought, but if there is an alternative download, maybe link the big pink download button to that instead of redirecting everyone to a 404 page...

You can imagine the kind of first impression this will have on anyone who wants to try Symphony out, so why isn't there an easily accessible alternative for everyone to use?

I also appreciate that this is a volunteer effort. Heck, I would be happy to help where I can, but as stated above, there are some really obvious things which are missing here.

When i was referring to "pretty much anything", i meant pretty much anything in the downloads section of the website.

I hadn't realised that it had been stated that the downloads section of the website wasn't working when I tried to download directly off the site yesterday. There were no alerts, no warnings, no messages. Nothing. I'm not going to log into the forum every time I want to download Symphony just because somebody might have posted something.

It would appear downloads are behaving as expected once again, although I am unsure if the downloads have a fully functional directory of extensions.

@Lewis: You have to admit that we had more hiccups over the last two months than we had in the last five years. I'm not sure what changed in the background but the main Symphony site is not very reliable at the moment (speaking of general availability and link accessibility).

@Nils I think there was a server migration; & a new setup which caused some issues. In addition to a DNS cleanup gone wrong... hopefully it will stabilize a bit now.

Symphony download directory still serving incomplete Symphony installs.

Github serving incomplete Symphony installs.

Brendo's install link gives me a 500 server error after installation.

It would appear that I simply cannot get a version of Symphony working. Having to push ensembles to bitbucket off my other machine...

Github serving incomplete Symphony installs.

The only problem you are facing here is that Github doesn't fetch the extensions because they are included as submodules. This is something that you can fix manually:

The datasources and events also give me a 500 error....it would appear they are missing too.

Are you trying to install the default workspace? It's not included in the Github download I mentioned so there shouldn't be any events or data sources yet. When do you get a 500 error?

If you'd like to install the default workspace, you'll have to download the workspace repository as well and add it to the root of your site: https://github.com/symphonycms/workspace/archive/master.zip

Hi guys, here's the backstory:

There are two server nodes running on the site. One has been able to resolve the download.* subdomain correctly, while the other one had caused a server name clash when we started work on the docs.getsymphony.com. The docs subdomain only runs on one of the two nodes we set up. The download error had occurred intermittently before, but this was thought to be an issue with DNS propagation. When we did our test to make sure the "DNS propagation" problems on downloads.* has been resolved, tests were done on the main node only (we call our main node, Symphony Actual).

In the past day or so, in attempt to eliminate the issues caused by a multi-server set-up i.e., Showcase images not showing up and attachements throwing errors, the server had been reverted to a single, larger node setup. In doing this, the two server's vhosts had been merged. This caused the side-effect of the downloads.* subdomain, which was incorrectly thought to have been resolved, to rear its ugly head. But this time around, it's showing up 100% of the time, given that it's no longer on a round-robin load balancing schedule.

Hopefully, these issues are finally resolved. Given that every time we fix something, something else comes up, take my assurance with some level of skepticism with a dash of cautious optimism.

In terms of server stability and issues go, it's important to see problems separately. They are categorised as, issues relating to:

1. CDN/Edge delivery via CloudFlare
  2. DNS via DNSimple
  3. Server uptime (RackSpace)
  4. Environment, setup and bugs (mostly Allen)

It's key to point out that when the server migration occurred, all of the above happened at the same time. There's a lot of variables to juggle and while we would've preferred to do things more leisurely, we weren't afforded the option.

From the end user's perspective, a non-working site is a non-working site; and the issues have a perceived notion that problems are persistent and nothing is improving, but as all the disparate services are being massaged into place, stability will improve.

Please note that I am still experimenting with CloudFlare and setting up Riak (used for multi-node object distribution) for the sake of our new Symphony website. We may still some funny business happening once in a while, but when I am tweaking something, I'll be sure to say something on Twitter first.

With regards to the download packaging missing extensions and the workspace directory, this was my stupid attempt at a workaround for the downloads.* subdomain problem we were having. I forgot the reason why we submit separate packages for Github and the site was that its download feature does not automatically include submodules.

I'm still not hot on the idea that we host a separate download package on our site, while everything code-wise lives on Github. My preference would be to host a complete package on Github, though they've removed the ability to host arbitrary files a while back.

For the new Symphony website, we may be looking at hosting the complete Symphony package on Github as a separate repository.