Search

Hello,

I am looking for a way of filtering items shown in a selectbox link field:

I have one section with images and one section with projects. In the project section I want to select an image from the image section. So far, I of course see all images in the sbl field in the project section. I now would like to filter these so that the sbl only displays images of one project. Of course I have assigned each image to a project in the image section.

Do you know of a way? Thank you very much! Moritz

I guess you're confusing Sections and Data Sources?

If you've already linked an image to a project in the images section, there's usually no need to link that image to the project again in the projects section via another Select Box Link field.

If you could explain what you actually want to achieve here, we might be able to help you with that.

Indeed, I confused section with data source. Sorry fot this and thanks for the correction (I changed my post accordingly).

It's not that I want to link the image twice, my idea is another: First I upload images and assign each to one project - this is what I do in the image section. Then I want to choose one of them as the a project's main/preview image – this is what I'd like to do in the project section.

I could of course upload the image a second time, now to the project, but it would be great to have no redundancy. Or I could make the choice for a preview image in the image section but then I could choose two images by mistake.

Then I want to choose one of them as the a project's main/preview image – this is what I'd like to do in the project section.

I could make the choice for a preview image in the image section but then I could choose two images by mistake.

Best solution in my opinion, just keep it simple. You can make the preview checkbox visible in the images section (entries table), so mistakes (two preview images) are easier to spot.

My usual workflow with images:

I hide the images section from the backend navigation all together and only make it visible as linked section in the projects section, so editors always access the images section prefiltered by project.

I usually add some sort of sorting capability as well using a Number Field, and just use the first image as preview for that project. You can also use the Order Entries extension instead to make it more convenient for your client, but I recently discovered some nasty side effects with that extension. Number Field is less convenient, but more robust.

This now sounds exciting:

I hide the images section from the backend navigation all together and only make it visible as linked section in the projects section, so editors always access the images section prefiltered by project.

Prefiltered by project, does this mean, your authors open the projects section and click in the list of projects the link that lead to the images section (which then is filtered)? I have been using the order entries extension before, the number field seems to be a good alternative as well.

I guess what I am/was looking for, is the (deprecated) subsection manager.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Prefiltered by project, does this mean, your authors open the projects section and click in the list of projects the link that lead to the images section (which then is filtered)?

Exactly.

I guess what I am/was looking for, is the (deprecated) subsection manager.

Upcoming Symphony 2.3.3 release also has a new UI element for linked entries called associations:

alt text