Search

A new extension, "Routing" is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

Amazingly simple implementation. Great job!

Thanks. :)

@jensscherbl - Awesome work!!!

Oh my goodness. This looks exceptionally powerful. Can't wait to try it out!

Being familiar with RoR, I like the look of this.

This is great stuff, Jens!

This is awesome Jens. Routing via text file outside of the DB is brilliant for developers. I can quickly see this becoming a default install. The only downside you can't use this in combination with Symphony's default routing? It would be fantastic if it would fall back to Symphony's default routing and Pages.

When using one of the route extensions, try to see pages more as templates instead, like a set of API resources that you route to.

Also @jens, is there any reason why this couldn't replace functionality in the current URL Router extension, and take on the use of the admin UI we developed for it? I was planning to (eventually get round to) adding XML routing to that extension anyway. Seems it would be beneficial to maintain a single extension...?

The only downside you can't use this in combination with Symphony's default routing? It would be fantastic if it would fall back to Symphony's default routing and Pages.

That's actually on purpose to prevent nasty side effects and double content.

When using one of the route extensions, try to see pages more as templates instead, like a set of API resources that you route to.

Exactly.

Also @jens, is there any reason why this couldn't replace functionality in the current URL Router extension, and take on the use of the admin UI we developed for it?

URL Router didn't work reliably for me in some situations, so I wanted to give it a fresh start.

Regarding the UI, I don't think it's really necessary for such a developer centric task, so I wanted to keep it simple.

Also, personal control freak issues (as stated below).

Seems it would be beneficial to maintain a single extension...?

I'd rather have my own extension... with blackjack and hookers.

Is it possible to use a joker sign in a route?

All my pages got the same URL parameters (category/title)

For example:

<route from="/:language/*/:cat/" to="/*/:cat/">
    <filter parameter=":language" match="[a-z]{2}" />
    <filter parameter=":cat"  match="[w.-]+" />
</route>

Is it possible to use a joker sign in a route?

You can use any parameter as wildcard, you don't need to use every parameter in your to-path.

But I guess what you want to achieve is something more like this?

<route from="/:language/:page/:cat/" to="/:page/:cat/">
    <filter parameter=":language" match="[a-z]{2}" />
    <filter parameter=":cat"  match="[w.-]+" />
</route>

I forgot the :page parameter. That will do the trick.

I only use a helper section for translating the page names and page urls. (as you told here

Just a quick info...

I'm currently not using this in any new project and might either deprecate or rewrite it in the future.

So if anyone still relies on this extension, wants to adopt and maintain it or just keep the code for reference, fork it while it's still around.

As far as I know, there's currently one actively maintained and two outdated alternatives. Concepts and implementations might be different, though.

FYI anyone reading this, I'm not sure if you consider URL Router as 'outdated' however I still use it regularly seems pretty solid for my use cases.

FYI anyone reading this, I'm not sure if you consider URL Router as 'outdated' however I still use it regularly seems pretty solid for my use cases.

Compatibility table says it hasn't been tested and marked as compatible since Symphony 2.2.1.

Compatibility table says it hasn't been tested and marked as compatible since Symphony 2.2.1.

Looks different on symphonyextensions.com though.

Looks different on symphonyextensions.com though.

True. But also not up to date ;) And I think symphonyextensions.com itself is also no longer actively maintained.

@jens true symphonyextensions.com is not maintained but it's far better than the compatibility tables on getsymphony.com