Authors are given the freedom to compose an entry like this:

• Text
  • Resource from another section
  • Text
  • Text
  • (etc ...)

They can stack unlimited texts and unlimited resources and order them. When they add other resources from another section, the relations should be displayed in the publish pages.

What is a common way to do this in symphony?

Greetings

Here a few avenues of investigation you might like to go down.

Inserting references to content inside textareas

Content field

Sir Trevor

Perhaps this could be built into a Symphony CMS extension.

Sir Trevor is rich content editing entirely re-imagined for the web: an intuitive editor for web content which does not presuppose anything about how it will be rendered.

Trivial to extend and create your own block types

Thank you DavidOliver,

this is a help to me.

Addendum: I've done it already, with a "base-section" which has references to sections which hold references to the actual resource section... All this is necessary (from my understanding) to allow ordering of every entry/reference.

Unfortunately the editing is very uncomfortable for customers. It's a lot clicking and spread through several forms. So I'll follow your suggestions. thank you

+1 for Sir Trevor, came across this as well a few weeks ago and thought it would be ideal for Symphony. If I had the php/symphony skills I would have built an extension already :)

If anyone fancies the challenge or wants to explain how to go about it I'd but up for trying to get this working.

I think Sir Trevor combined with xslt ninja technique = major win

+1 Sir Trevor too! although it feels more of a front end type of implementation. Can't imagine Sir Trevor style UI overriding a textarea field in the backend somehow. I may be proven wrong.. but think it'd still benefit more from being used on the front end communicating with a backend symphony section.

So,

I figured out, that it would be perfect to have the Reference Link Extension as a content field for the Content Field Extension.

So, ... for the first time ever I started coding in Symphony to make this field on my own ;) Obviously its too much for me right now to start with. I didn't proceed far. I added settings interface, but stuck at the reference field javascript and more will follow I guess.

Any Symphonists interested in converting the Reference Link Extension as a Content Field for the Content Field Extension ? ;O