Search

There's been several comments here and there about the lack of extensions for Symphony 2.4, which is in part due to the breaking changes introduced in the release. Unfortunately, some of these extension's authors are no longer active in the community and as such, developers are in a tough spot where they feel they cannot update to Symphony 2.4

As a core developer, this is a shame and I'd like to offer my assistance to fix up any extensions that no longer function under Symphony 2.4. I'll be doing an 8 hour sprint on Wednesday, 13th of August (Australian time) to fix up as many extensions as requested in this thread.

I will preference those that are part of the Symphonists organisation first, but I'm happy to offer pointers if anyone has any personal extensions that are affected also.

Thanks!

What about a general code sprint on Wednesday? Like the hackathon we did once.

I'm in.

Dude. Legend! I see you've already pushed out a wave of updates with Symphony 2.4 compatibility. Thanks!

It would certainly be handy to have a routing extension or two updated (especially the default URL Router):

URL Router
Routing
Versatile Router

Others that I've noticed would include:

System ID Field
Publish Tabs
Number Field
Union Datasource
Setion Hierarchy
Documenter
Conditionalizer
Unpublished Filter
Image Index Preview
Don't Drop (Although there may be a good alternative?)
Global Resource Loader

I know there'll no doubt be a long request list but any help with any of those would certainly be useful if you get the chance. I'll try to keep up with the fixes being applied to other extensions to identify the common changes.

Kudos to the Symphony community.

What about a general code sprint on Wednesday? Like the hackathon we did once.

I did think about that but as we're trying to get an RC done I didn't want to be doing too much in the way of new code.

A common gripe of 2.4 (and 2.5) is that the extensions don't support it, so I thought this was a better use of time so people can feel more confident when 2.5 releases :)

Unless there was other stuff you wanted to hack on?

I thought of the last bits and pieces for 2.5 and of the extensions (especially Association field).

I’d add

Map Location Field

to the list. Will try a local 2.5 upgrade on my largest site and have a look what else would be needed.

Hooray!

Regarding the Map Location Field: support for GeoJSON (pasting locations) as well as for different tile providers (custom, Mapbox) would be helpful additions.

@nils I have a version which integrates one of my mbtiles-based maps. However it’s hardcoded and not at all flexible as an extension. If you are interested anyway I can send you a ZIP.

I also should of mentioned, it'd be nice to know if you definitely know the extension doesn't work, or if you're just referring to the extension.meta.xml or compatibility matrix. Some of the extensions above should work already :)

@ijy, don't assume that all of those extensions are broken by Symphony 2.4. URL Router and Versatile Router work. Routing (the extension) would work if the author had responded to a pull request that was made some months ago.

My extension Workspace Manager is very much broken by Symphony 2.4. I'm working on a new version, Workspace Manager B.

Regarding the Map Location Field: support for GeoJSON (pasting locations) as well as for different tile providers (custom, Mapbox) would be helpful additions.

Leaflet!

@Huib Yeah!

I also should of mentioned, it'd be nice to know if you definitely know the extension doesn't work

I'm in the process of testing a few of them I'm working with on a current project. Number Field seems to work with Symphony 2.4 from what I can tell. I'll edit my comment above as I give others a try. If I find that they work without issue shall I fork the repo and issue a pull request with the updated meta?

don't assume that all of those extensions are broken by Symphony 2.4. URL Router and Versatile Router work. Routing (the extension) would work if the author had responded to a pull request that was made some months ago.

Good to know. I've not used the routing extensions before so I didn't quite know what to expect as a benchmark for success or failure with those. :) URL Router looked like it hadn't been touched in a while and with different variations it's hard to know what's current and what's fallen by the wayside with others taking their place.

Documenter, Unpublished Filter and Image Index Preview should work. They state 2.3 as a minimum requirement which does include 2.4 and 2.5.

Regarding Publish Tab, have a look at Parenthesis Tabs as an alternative.

@nils Parenthesis Tabs offer a good concept for multilingual content. However in my case the content is divided into tabs thematically.

Publish Tabs work fine, except for displaying the entry title as untitled when the first field in a section is a publish tab. I guess Symphony 2.4+ handles the display of entry titles differently. This should be easy to fix I presume.

I can second that Documenter and Image Index Preview seem to work in my case.

@animaux

Regarding Parenthesis Tabs, the value in parenthesis can be anything. Language use-case is just for example.

Correct, the tabs are not limited to a specific use case. The extension just turns all parenthesised terms into tabs, grouping idential terms.