Search

Unfortuantely, giving an overview of my "big project" would require some spare time (for writing), which I don't find at the moment.

No problem Michael. It is one of the hidden gems why we all love Symphony. Every new website I make with Symphony I'm pleasantly surprised what the possibilities are.

but have forgotten about it a week later.

Like in ... what url do I need to login ... oh and uhm what was my username and password. I've got WP websites around and there it is also new day, same shit.

Redactor doesn't do it that bad. One trick is to copy-paste three times and the code is pretty clean except the extra br en nbsp's

I have never seen such a thing. WYSIWYG is a broken concept.

I think this shouldn't be another WYSIWYG vs Markdown discussion. There are valid use cases for both.

This thread is about Froala Editor.

The discussion should be why this particular editor? There are lots of WYSIWYG editors out there. Is Froala Editor really so much better than long-standing open source alternatives like TinyMCE to justify the license and price tag?

It looks like we have at least 3 people willing to chip in for this extension. Anyone willing to deliver the project and put a price on it so that we have a goal to work towards?

Is this really about Froala Editor in particular, or just about a good, up-to-date WYSIWYG extension for Symphony in general?

It's about up-to-date WYSIWYG extension for Symphony in general.

To be honest, I've missed the pricing page entirely and assumed it was free to be used in open source projects.(Sorry) 300$ is really ridiculous amount of money, which I obviously can't afford.

I agree. Any acceptable WYSIWYG tool would be adequate.

I use CKEditor all the way. I get always clean semantic html code.

Been playing around with some available 'WYSIWYG' editors still compatible with symphony 2.5.2.
Seems the only reasonable candidates with image browse/file upload features are:
Redactor: https://github.com/remie/richtext_redactor (not maintained)
and this pull-request for CKeditor (not maintained): https://github.com/davjand/ckeditor

about redactor:

especially if it avoids spitting out unneeded inline styles and structure code like every other non markdown WYSIWYG I've used!

Seems like this not a redactor bug but a webkit / chrome bug on the html5 contenteditable="true" attribute that has not been addressed yet: https://www.google.nl/search?q=contenteditable+inline+style+bug

A lot of editors are facing this problem and i haven't found a solution anywhere...
I did found this example that clearly illustrates the problem. It seems like firefox does not have this issue...

This seems like the editor with the least bugs at the moment, but i faced a problem inserting a blockquote. Also here there was inline style markup added.

Tried making an extension of TinyMCE (which already exist but is a bit outdated) Which was surprisingly easy! (Never made an extension before).

But is does not come with a image upload function.
There's a commercial plug-in but mad expensive license: http://www.moxiemanager.com/getit/
And probably a bit overkill in code...

Gave creating a file upload myself a try, but gave up after a few hours. Harder then i thought...

Conclusion:
WYSIWYG editors are quite a pain, especially with this webkit bug that adds unwanted inline mark-up.
I am just not a big fan of markdown. I could deal with it myself, but you know... don't really find it user friendly towards clients
I also think a good 'WYSIWYG' editor can output some pretty decent markup if configured right, and leave out unnecessary features.

So i guess i stick with CKeditor for now and maybe markdown and hope for some sweet extension to pop-up in the future ;-)

And to stay ontopic; I find Froala quite nice and think it might be a good 'investment' as a symphony editor, so i am still willing to contribute...

I'll take your word for it…