Search

Does anyone have any experience with large numbers of files (> 100,000) in a single upload folder using image_upload or the regular file_upload field?

Are there performance issues?

Am I right in assuming the upload folder location is now stored in the field rather than the entry? So it wouldn’t be possible to have different subfolders when populating the upload field with xml- or csv-import?

Are there performance issues?

We don't do a folder scan to list files, so there shouldn't be any dramas from a Symphony perspective.

Am I right in assuming the upload folder location is now stored in the field rather than the entry?

That's correct.

So it wouldn’t be possible to have different subfolders when populating the upload field with xml- or csv-import?

Not quite, the field stores the destination and the entry stores the filename. When we build the full path to the file we use the destination and the filename. Because of this, the scenario where there are different 'destinations' within the same section is not supported.

Thanks for clarifying Brendo!

We don't do a folder scan to list files, so there shouldn't be any dramas from a Symphony perspective.

Brilliant, but could this be an apache performance issue? I guess apache doesn’t have to list the entire folder to retrieve a file either?

Brilliant, but could this be an apache performance issue? I guess apache doesn’t have to list the entire folder to retrieve a file either?

No, I don't think so at all. When you issue a http-request to a resource, e.g. a file, its always a particular resource request with a specific http answer.

Thanks Juraj, very good to know!

@nitriques and myself started looking at a means to a assign a child folder to an individual upload filed in a section.. i.e. if you wanted to group certain entries into folders.. We named it the 'enhanced_upload_field' and it's still a proof of concept. There were changes made around Symphony version 2.3, so I haven't checked to see if it still works or not.