Search

I'm dealing right now with a project that has the following ER structure:

1. Hotel has zero or more Rooms
  2. Package belongs to Hotel
  3. Package belongs to zero or more Rooms

As you can see, the third relationship depends on the second one, because the only selectable Rooms are (should be) the ones that belong to the selected Hotel.

Do you know of any available extension that populates a field with a related entity based on another relation?

There is an extension called Selectbox Link Field Combo with description "For anyone who desires chained selectboxes in backend", although it doesn't look as it has been recently updated.

http://www.getsymphony.com/download/extensions/view/68201/

As far as I know Jonmifsud put a lot of effort recently in implementing this feature in the new association field:

There are pending PRs on the field itself, the selector interface and the core:

But apparently this is only planned for a 3.X-release. Though Jonathan seems to have this working already in real projects, so you might ask him about the current status directly.

@manuelro as @Roman mentioned it's possible. Though not sure you need all that filtering stuff. I have an extension (linked to the filtering stuff) which does things (hide/show) to fields available on the page. It's not yet public as I've only used it on a couple of projects and it does require a bit more work but should be a good start. If you need help trying it out let me know.