Search

I know this is something developers do not like to talk about that much, but is there any kind of roadmap for the final release of Symphony 2? I'm not interested in dates, I'd rather like to know which improvements, which features are on the agenda. What are the priorities?

Could you post something like: "Beta 5 will be a bugfix release, Beta 6 will come up with a new Section Link logic. And please don't expect localisation features and the final Extensions API before Beta 7/8/9 ..." Just a short overview that can be updated if necessary.

Thanks! Nils

Good question. Yes, we have been planning something exactly along those lines for major post 2.0-final releases (and also for community-related projects such as Overture). At the moment beta revisions are solely focused on bug fixes; we are not currently working on the section link update nor the localisation API, though both of these are high priority updates and we'll get stuck into them soon.

I don't see the usefulness in announcing ahead of time what beta revision numbers certain features will appear in, since this is either meaningless information or equivalent to setting deadlines (and there's no chance of us doing that). What we are committed to is being transparent about what is planned, rather than when it will arrive, and so far we have been doing exactly that.

I'd be interested in, at the very least, an eta of the various revisions and public releases. I've got a neat photography project in mind and I'd prefer to use s2 over s1.7, but I also want to get it going sooner rather than later. I understand the fickleness of beta release dates, but even a quick whisper would be very helpful.

I'd be interested in, at the very least, an eta of the various revisions and public releases.

There is no answer to this question. There are many variables, and I'm sure you can understand that fixing bugs is not easy. Some bugs take minutes to fix why others allude.

Somebody said the new section link logic will break compatibility with the current beta releases: will there be any upgrade path? Because 1.7 version already isn't upgradeable to 2.0, so if current beta releases won't also be upgradeable, actually it would be impossibile to start a new project with a future.

The good news is that a section link is very similar to a select box in how they store data. I anticipate that it will be fairly easy to upgrade, and we WILL be accompanying the new revision in question with an upgrade script/extension/etc.

No need to stress too much. ;)

whew

Thank you Scott, Alistair for the upgrade path.