Search

Hi,

As the topic says I'm currently teaching myself some basic knowledge, running Symphony on a localhost set up instead of tediously uploading my files to a webhost. It works so far, and now I've been trying to integrate angularjs into my set-up. To my suprise it's easy to get up and running. I've taken a step from the tutorial and have woven the code in the master template. I used {$root}/angularPath/angular.js because that's where the files are that I checked out with git.

So now I'm happy and can get on with developing, only one thing worries me. My localhost is running at port 8080 and the angular/node? server is running on port 8000. I've tried running them on the same port. I'm a noob when it comes to this. Is this how it's supposed to be or should they run on the same port? Or should that stuff be in workspace? I don't know..

(posted on general because no trouble, just curious)

Hi, I haven't quite used angular/node with symphony, however as far as I'm aware a port can only be bound to one process. So you will either have apache/ngnix or node listening on port 80 (or whatever port you want) Anything over and above will be working on a separate port. As long as your user is not aware of that it's fine, say they will always put your website domain as the url without ports (which would mean port 80).

If you want both to work on port 80, you would have to use what is called a reverse proxy, basically have both services served through nginx or varnish for example, whereby all requests to node will be re-routed through ngnix/varnish will will in turn forward them to the appropriate port on which node is listening. The advantage here is that you would not need to open the node port public.