Search

I have a couple of Symphony installs I'd like to move to a PHP7 environment. In understand from the Github discussions that PHP7 support is flagged for version 2.7.

I'm wondering if anyone has live Symphony sites on PHP7 now. How far from release is the 2.7 branch? Would it be reckless at this stage, or is it relatively stable?

Thanks,
Fish

Hei Fish,

I’ve tried with two installations so far. 2.7.0 beta2 runs fine so far. Quite a few extensions need minor updates. Good thing is the error messages tell you exactly how to fix them :D. I have sent a few PRs with fixes and there are forks or branches with PHP7-fixes for quite a few extensions. So it really depends on your set of extension. I’d suggest to give it a try with a site copy and see how it goes.

All the best, Alex

Have a look here for example.

Thanks Alex,

I'll give it a go. From that discussion, it sounds like the best approach is to do the upgrades on PHP 5.6 and then test the result on PHP 7. Is that the upgrade path you took?

Regards,
Fish

Yep, should work that way. Some extensions have been updated to support PHP7 recently and @nitriques in back at work on the road to 2.7.0. Good luck! :)

Will PHP7 be a requirement for 2.7.x?

yes!

Just a quick reminder... This would be a breaking change and the 2.7.0 branch/release should be renamed to 3.0.0 then.

So far 2.7.0beta2runs fine on PHP 5.6.x.

BTW to quote myself from the gitter chat:

Joy! I can report a massive performance increase switching from PHP5.6 to PHP7.

PHP 5.6

PHP 5.7

Will PHP7 be a requirement for 2.7.x?

yes!

Where does this info come from? I would have expected 2.7.x to be compatible with PHP 7 but not to require it.

How would the update process work if Symphony 2.6.x only supports PHP 5.x and Symphony 2.7.X only works with PHP 7.x?

So far 2.7.0beta2runs fine on PHP 5.6.x.

That's good to hear - and I hope the final release will behave no different. Would make updating a whole bunch of sites a lot easier I guess.

Where does this info come from?

https://gitter.im/symphonycms/symphony-2?at=58877623c0de6f017fe60d2d

How would the update process work if Symphony 2.6.x only supports PHP 5.x and Symphony 2.7.X only works with PHP 7.x?

As far as I comprehend, updating web applications is just a matter of replacing files on the file system and migrating the database to a new schema if necessary. I don’t see why this would be a problem.

That's good to hear - and I hope the final release will behave no different. Would make updating a whole bunch of sites a lot easier I guess.

We’ll have to drop PHP 5.6-support and introduce other breaking changes at some point anyway, and the 2.7.x-branch has been under development for over a year now. Would only make sense to cherry pick a few important breaking changes from the abandoned 3.x.x-branch and release 2.7.0 as 3.0.0.

Would only make sense to cherry pick a few important breaking changes from the abandoned 3.x.x-branch and release 2.7.0 as 3.0.0.

Not sure if this is neccessary already since 2.7.0.beta2 runs fine on PHP 5.6 and I don’t think this will change for the final release. I could be wrong though, @nitriques?

Yes 2.7.0 must run on 5.6, so no breaking change. But yeah, we will drop it at some moments. I might wanna start breaking things a lot, when I'll have a stable 2.7.x release and continue to fix bugs in it.

Still the Symphony site says "PHP 5.3 or above" (and so does the repository's README), so we won't really have semantic versioning…

I've updated the website and I'll update the README also. Thanks.