Search

A new Extension, “Firebug Profiler” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

After my thoughts in this thread I spent some time today putting together an implementation of the FirePHP library for Symphony frontend pages.

The extension allows you to view the Params list and Profile information directly in the Firebug console (after installing a Firebug extension).

http://github.com/nickdunn/firebug_profiler/tree/master

I hope to build on this to add support for DS and Event XML, to make debugging Events a whole lot easier! But for the meantime, have a play.

Firebug console

Brilliant!

This looks awesome, Nick. Thank you! I hope you are able to add Events, as they remain something of a mystery to me.

Nice extension! FirePHP also includes tables: (example)

// Page Params comes last as it seems to break FirePHP headers above it
$table   = array();
$table[] = array('Variable', 'Value');

foreach($this->params as $name => $value) {
    if ($name == 'root') {
        continue;
    }

$table[] = array('$' . $name, trim($value));
}

$firephp->table('Page Parameters', $table);

Cool. Is it possible to do something similar with Webkit’s web inspector / console?

Aha! I totally forgot about tables — good spot. I’ll amend this to display the data a bit more cleanly.

Unfortunately Webkit’s console doesn’t work in quite the same way. I don’t think it’s an open architecture that people can write plugins for and extend :-(

Updated with tables, thanks Kaiuwe. It now outputs the full array of information from both Profile and Debug.

The Debug section includes a breakdown of the XML fragments for each Event and Data Source, for quick sanity checking when tweaking filters etc. I thought it would be useful to add an entry count for each Data Source as well.

Since these XML fragments can get quite large (several KB of additional header sent with each page request) there is now a checkbox in Preferences to enable/disable the extension once it’s installed. Come to think of it, using the Enable/Disable extension would do the same thing! I may convert this checkbox to enable/disable just the sending of the XML fragments.

Github, README and screenshot all updated for the latest version.

This is a really useful extension Nick. I’ve always liked and used the debug views in Symphony but this will make things that little bit easier. Great work!

Am trying to get this working with FF 3.5, but gets this error message:

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80540006 [nsIStreamListener.onDataAvailable]"  nsresult: "0x80540006 (<unknown>)"  location: "JS frame :: file:///Users/anders/Library/Application%20Support/Firefox/Profiles/lqupb1hr.default/extensions/firebug@software.joehewitt.com/components/firebug-channel-listener.js :: anonymous :: line 107"  data: no]
file:///Users/anders/Library/Application%20Support/Firefox/Profiles/lqupb1hr.default/extensions/firebug@software.joehewitt.com/components/firebug-channel-listener.js
Line 107

Looks like a Firebug error to me. The latest Firebug that works with Firefox 3.5 is still a beta version, so best to wait until it becomes stable.

Only just got around to using this properly and its foffing marvelous!

Firebug Profiler updated to version 1.2 on 6th of January 2010

Updated to include memory usage stats in Symphony 2.0.7.

Hi,

I’m having troubles installing firebug profiler. For some reason it doesn’t display under the extensions menu so that I could enable it.

How did you install it? Did you rename the folder firebug_profiler as per the README?

I extracted it and renamed it to firebug_profiler and then moved it to server. It didn’t show up on extensions menu, so I thought that something went wrong and redid the install with same results. Now I decided to do try once more with it and it went ok.

Hi Nick, will this become compatibel with version 2.0.8?

Anyone knows if I can get my debug into safari’s developer tools? What if I do my xslt transforms with safari (like with a textmate plugin, or testxslt app) will it then show me similar debug pages?

Anyone experienced with this?

I’ve tried it with 2.0.8 and it worked without any problems.

Just tried 2.1.0 and get an endles list of these error in the console;

reference to undefined property s[0]
[Break on this error] (function(aT,ad){function a5(){if(!am....ctions.hijack_favorite_button()})})();

Also profile has no effect.

Just installed it on 2.1.0 with Ubuntu 10.04 and Firefox 3.6.8 and it seems to be working correctly. This is great, but would be greater if the data source XML were indented properly.