Search

I'm not quite getting what this feature is for. Could someone write a few details about it?

Thanks, Nils

Why, front-end saving of course. :D If you take a look at send-email or save-comment, you can see the documentation about using the Event on your front-end. Does that help? The Comments form and Messages form of the default theme use these Events.

Front-end saving? Never heard of that ;)

Okay, seems to be easy. I was just thinking in a far to complicated way.

I never really had a chance to look into the font-end saving feature yet until now. Somehow, I always thought that it would be a separate extension. This implementation with the event editor is simply genius! :D

This is a possible bug: The system allows me to create a new event, call it say "test event." The file event.test_event.php is indeed created in my workspace, but the event does not appear in my Admin interface in the list of events.

If I create a second new event, say "test event 2," the file event.testevent2.php is also created in my workspace, but this time the event appears in the Admin interface.

Naturally, I'm not able either to create a new event named "test event" or modify the existing "test event" since the Admin interface gives me no access to it. I was able to repeat this behavior on a local host twice.

On edit: I'm going to add this to the Bug Tracker.

I've been preoccupied with section links, so I haven't had a chance to try out front end saving and editing. It is as River says: simply genius!

One question, though. This may be a bug, or just not fully implemented at the moment. (Edit: this is not a bug.) How would I include a section link field? For example, I have a section called "Clients" that has a section link to a section called "Client Types", the Symphony admin will not allow me to create entries unless I am adding a linked entry to a parent "Client Types" entry. However, on the front end, I can only create entries that are orphaned from any parent entry.

So front end entries allow the creation of entries contrary to the workings of the Symphony admin ... unless there is a way to specify a parent entry and disallow saving without that parent being specified.

On the front-end, the related section ID is supplied in a hidden field. Look at how comment posting works in the Allen's "Spectrum" workspace. Without all fields specified and valid, you would not be able to save comment entries.

Hidden fields can be used for other field types too, e.g. you might want your front-end form to post entries linked to a category determined by the URL rather than a select box, or to disallow users the option of setting published status.

Thanks, Scott. I had just noticed the hidden field for fields[type]. I was just in the process of figuring out that the elipsis provided in the event editor documentation was meant to be replaced by the appropriate parent entry id. I was going to post back when I got it working. You were too quick for me.

Also, the event editor documentation will receive some love and attention in the near future. Once we're less busy. :)

I was actually quite impressed with how the documentation is customized for each event. I just hadn't realized that the section link field was already there, and what value it required (though it was a pretty safe assumption that it was the id).