Search

@ phoque:
what about using tools from the google or facebook cloud to login, use their authorisation through api…?

@ michael- e:
do you need this for moving forward with a specific project (pommo;-) ?

@newnomad: You can be sure that this has to do with a secret project! Of course we shouldn’t talk about it, but isn’t it time to have an email newsletter extension for Symphony? Uuups. (Hope that nobody heard this.)

I will open a dedicated thread to for this extension soon. Things are moving forward finally.

what about using tools from the google or facebook cloud to login, use their authorisation through api…?

This is a great idea that should be considered down the line. Integration with OpenID/Facebook Connect/Twitter would be a big plus. From looking into these before, they act as a layer on top of your own login system. For example when registering using Facebook Connect, a user account on your own site is still created but you also store the Facebook ID and flag it as a Facebook-registered account.

But this is probably a version 2 or 3 thing :-P

Oh for a minute I hoped using openID would take care of all the work, and simplify the extension to an API bridge… You are sure Nick it has to act on top of your own system, and cannot act in place of yuor own system?

@ Michael; Great, specially since pommo stalled after bruce has promised the switch to swiftmailer…

I am currently implementing Shibboleth Single-Sign-On into one of our projects at work. After we’re done I will look into blending simpleSAMLphp together with the Members extension.

I’m having a little difficulty with the forum branch of the members extension. It appears that there are quite a few changes here and there and it’s probably best that we move forward with the forum branch. Thoughts?

Just a note about the forum branch of the members extension, I have yet to discover whether there are any significant differences with the Symphony core that came packaged with the forum ensemble. I’m waiting, as Allen requested, to release the forum ensemble until he has had a chance to do a final look over the files. The ensemble is in need of some styling, so release is being delayed until the design has been enhanced. So far, no one has volunteered to add some style.

I pushed the forum branch to GitHub in an attempt to see what differences there were between the unofficial version and the version that was packaged with the ensemble (which I assume is identical to what is running on this forum). There are some significant differences, most involving the removing of the dependency on the Configuration Accessor class in favour of the core Symphony Configuration class. Other changes involve the page permissions tables being replaced by the forbidden pages tables. This is quite a welcome change as it alleviates the problem of having to update the permissions for every front end page as they are created to allow access.

Until I have word from Allen, I don’t think I should be releasing anything else publicly. But I’m happy to email what I have completed so you are less confused about the changes to the Members extension in the forum branch. It all works seamlessly in the ensemble.

I think part of my problem was the fact that I was using 2.0.2 instead of 2.0.6 to test…working on some organization and then I’m going to look into it again.

Are the Members and Forum extensions independent of one another? I’m confused that there is a separate Members extension in the Forum ensemble.

Yes, there appears to be a separate (more up-to-date) members extension utilized with the forum ensemble. I get the following error when I try to use the forum branch:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method Symphony::configuration() in /some/path/extensions/members/extension.driver.php on line 710

The Forum extension adds events to the forum to manage discussions and member activation. It seems to make sense that these are separate from the Members extension, since they are specific to the functionality of a forum.

• Forum: Activate Member
  • Forum: Discussions & Comments
  • Forum: Resend Activation Email
  • Forum: Utilities

It also adds a number of select menus to the System : Preferences page:

• Discussion Section
  • Comment Section
  • Discussion Member Link
  • Discussion Last Post
  • Discussion Last Active (Date)
  • Earliest Unread Discussion Cutoff (Date)
  • Pinned Flag
  • Locked Flag
  • Comment Discussion Link
  • Comment Member Link
  • Comment Creation Date

@Lewis, there are some differences in the symphony core, I’ve just realized. In /symphony/lib/core/class.symphony.php there is this difference:

// The following 2 functions are stupid and I hate them
    public static function Configuration(){
        if(class_exists('Frontend')){
            return Frontend::instance()->Configuration;
        }

return Administration::instance()->Configuration;
    }

public static function Database(){
        if(class_exists('Frontend')){
            return Frontend::instance()->Database;
        }

return Administration::instance()->Database;
    }

Seriously, that “hate them” comment in the code is not mine. It’s in there. Looks like this build of the core is from the integration branch and cuts off August 3, 2009.

Cheers bauhouse, that makes much more sense!

I’m having a bit of an encoding issue with this extension returning  after each word (Textile formatter) on some textbox fields in the members section. It doesn’t seem to strip the entities off?

Would that be related to this extension, or the textbox field (or the textile formatter)? It works normally when pulling the data using a DS, but with the fields returning in the event..

At the moment I’m dodging the problem by using the translate function, but it’d be nice if I could drop that workaround :)

It’s most likely not related to this extension since the field you’re having a problem with is the default textbox and not part of the members’ extension. I’m not sure what it is… what does the data look like in the database?

// The following 2 functions are stupid and I hate them

Yeah, I do hate them. Unfortunately I had to deal with some limitations and those 2 functions are a work around. Since Symphony is abstract, I cannot instantiate it, thus the need to use Frontend and Administration.

Hi there,

This seems really good, but I have a couple of questions:

• Is it safe to use this extension yet? I have to advice someone whether or not to use it wihout it breaking the current website ;)
  • If not.. when will the official release (I’m a goose, having ‘official’ in an extension’s name makes me feel better haha)
  • Is there something like automatich password generation and mail reply with login data?

Thanks for the good stuff.

I’d wait for the official release of the Forum Extension, Members Extension and Forum Ensemble. It’s pretty much what you see running this forum:

• Email verification
  • Forgotten password generation
  • Member profile creation and editing
  • Custom user types
  • Page and event access control
  • Who’s online
  • Forum administration tools
  • WMD editor for comments

There’s some work yet to do on security concerns and cleaning up the Members extension to avoid some issues when building from a clean install. The modified method of managing page access (specifying Forbidden Pages instead of specifying Accessible Pages) is worth waiting for.

However, I don’t know how long the wait may be. It’s in the Dev Team’s court at the moment.

If the team needs more time to get these things right, it would be really really great to have access to a “latest pseudo-stable” version.

Yes those features sound absolutely great, perhaps someone in the Dev Team can give an indication for the the release? Or at least the current status of the extension ;)

We’ve been using the extension for the Symphony site for a while now and it seems to be quite stable. We should be able to have it released soon after our next round of Symphony website updates.