Search

That sounds great Allen, I’ll be the first to try it out.

When will that next round of Symphony website updates be..? ;)

As soon as humanly possible.

Yeah, all this good stuff is making me impatient ;). Thanks for all your great work people!

Thanks for all your great work people!

Seriously!

Will the official release be tied to a the latest Symphony version, or will any symph 2.0 be fine?

I can’t speak for the dev team about the official release, but I know that the version of the Members extension that is being used by the yet-to-be-released Forum Ensemble uses changes that have been added to the latest integration branch of Symphony 2.0. My unofficial opinion is that the release will likely coincide with the release of Symphony 2.0.7. As for when the ensemble will be released, that’s a matter for the dev team to answer.

In the meantime, I have uploaded a sneak peak of the ensemble to builderscollective.com. My intention for this site is to supplement the discussions on this forum: anything off-topic here will be fair game there. It’ll be my playground for any development ideas that I’m toying with, whether it’s design, wireframes, prototyping, CSS, XHTML, XSLT, PHP, jQuery, RaphaelJS or Flex SDK. But it will all be focused on open source. As with DesignProjectX, it’s a work in progress.

Feel free to sign up and let me know if you find anything amiss. And let me know if you have any requests. What about this forum, for instance, would you like to see changed? One thing I’d like to do is bring back categories and figure out how to improve search.

The Forum Ensemble

I’m going to make this quick, since I don’t want you to wait any longer for the release of the Forum Ensemble. I’ve got the okay from Allen, but there’s still some tweaking left to do. This can be considered the pre-1.0 release. It deserves a much better announcement than this, so I’ll start a new thread when that announcement is ready. Until then, play around with this beta release and let me know if you find any issues. Thanks.

http://github.com/domain7/sym-forum-ensemble

Awesome, thanks a lot!

Great stuff, thanks. I got a site coming op which I can try it out on.

Very cool. Builders Collective looks great, @bauhouse.

I’ve answered your questions on the Builders Collective forum:

Regarding the register/login/activate routines, everything you need is included in the Forum Ensemble. For RSS, that’s something that hasn’t been included but wouldn’t be difficult to add. Perhaps that should be the first thing. Then categories.

I haven’t had the time to document anything, but take a look at how the ensemble works. If you need this to work with an existing install, you’ll need to look at making some changes to the core. I believe these changes will be making it into the next release of Symphony, but for now, you’ll need to hack. You’ll also need development branches of the Members extension, the Forum extension and Advanced Symphony Database Connector extension. Here’s what you’ll need:

Hey Guys, I’m having a lot of fun playing around with the Members Extension right now. I like how it works and how free-form it is.

I was noticing though that Symphony Authors, and Members seem to be separate things right now. That’s fine with me, I don’t mind that distinction. But I was wondering about when people aren’t logged in yet and they go to a place where they don’t have access. The “Forbidden. Please login to view this page.” error comes up, and that Login link leads you to the Symphony Login page. But that doesn’t do them any good, does it?

Is it possible to change where that redirect goes to? Like the home page or something?

Thanks…

response for TheJester12;

look at the members extension.driver.php file on line araound 451.

$this->_Parent->customError(E_USER_ERROR, 'Forbidden', 'Please <a href="'.URL.'/login/">login</a> to view this page.', false, true, 'error', array('header' => 'HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden'));

I changed the link from symphony/login/ to fronted /login/ .

Also you can directly redirect visitors by removing this line and using redirect function like

redirect('/login/'); ,

I hope it helps.

Hmmm, the login redirect should maybe be configurable on the members preferences page.

I guess I will file a bug report, so we don’t forget about this!

EDIT: http://github.com/bauhouse/members/issues#issue/18

Can the member data be accessed in other data sources? For instance I’d like to create a comments data source filtered by the members system id, so I can display a summary of comments on a profile page. Any configuration help would be appreciated!

This might be a remedial site security question: Using this extension, can you create an event that would securely edit a section that is linked to your members section? Currently, I’m just taking the Member entry ID as a POSTed param, but that allows anyone to tamper with the request and POST to any user entry, which I have to think is not the textbook way of doing it.

As I understand it, this would require the event getting the ID from the member-login-info rather than just passing an ID.

The members extension itself doesn’t offer “edit own” capabilities however it is something we are looking at adding.

For the Symphony website, we created extensions that taps into the members extension and adds extra options. One of which is the “edit own” capability.

For example, the the forum tools extension adds an extra table of permissions for the forum section. We also have a download tools and issue tools extension that also adds further permissions to that section.

“Edit own” is an important permission option and it wouldn’t be difficult to implement as the members extension has knowledge of the members section. When we do the polish work next week, I’ll see if we can work this in as a native functionality.

While we’re working on issues with the 2.0.7 beta release, is there any chance we can get an official Members extension released that will work with the final 2.0.7 release? Further development of the Members extension and the Forum ensemble will be stalled until we know that there will be forward compatibility - that it will work with an unmodified Symphony core. The attempt I have made to upgrade the Forum ensemble, which relies on the Members extension, to Symphony 2.0.7 has not been successful. I’m assuming this is because of the modifications to the core. I’m happy to maintain these projects, but my skill set goes only so far.

Or is this something that should wait until 2.1?

This would be great. Am I right in saying that either Forum or Members requires additions to the core to work? If we can get these modifications/dependencies in for the release of 2.0.7 the Members extension can be polished.

Is that what you’re gunning for — working out what dependencies/core changes are missing?