Search

A new ensemble, “DesignProjectX” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

DesignProjectX

Overview

A site about learning by doing

This is my playground, my sandbox for projects that I am toying with. I learn by doing. So this is where I do some of my stuff.

I love to experiment with new things. Design is my passion. I desire to create, inspire, transform, revolutionize. The tools of my experimentation are an Apple Mac G5, Compaq Presario, Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Flash, XHTML, CSS, Apache, PHP, MySQL, Symphony CMS, Joyent. My design is influenced by the Modernist roots of art and design at the Bauhaus, a school founded by Walter Gropius in 1919 in Weimar, Germany. The influence tends to show up less in design style, but more in my idealism and my hope to encourage social unity in diversity through the synthesis of art and technology. Stephen Bau, MGDC

Visit the site at http://designprojectx.com/

Installation

It is best to install this ensemble with Git, but you can also install this ensemble by downloading a copy of Symphony 2.0.6 and each of the required extensions and this workspace. Be sure to rename the directory to workspace.

Installing with Git

1. Clone a copy of Symphony 2.0.6 and rename the directory:

git clone git://github.com/symphony/symphony-2.git

2. Rename the symphony-2 directory (if necessary):

mv symphony-2 designprojectx
    cd designprojectx

3. Initialize the submodules for the default extensions:

git submodule init
    git submodule update

Or you can clone the default extensions:

cd /path/to/designprojectx/extensions
    git clone git://github.com/pointybeard/export_ensemble.git
    git clone git://github.com/pointybeard/jit_image_manipulation.git
    git clone git://github.com/pointybeard/maintenance_mode.git
    git clone git://github.com/pointybeard/markdown.git
    git clone git://github.com/pointybeard/selectbox_link_field.git
    git clone git://github.com/symphony/debugdevkit.git
    git clone git://github.com/symphony/profiledevkit.git

4. Clone the required extensions:

cd /path/to/designprojectx/extensions
    git clone git://github.com/ahwayakchih/markitup.git
    git clone git://github.com/bauhouse/export_install_file.git
    git clone git://github.com/nickdunn/entity_diagram.git
    git clone git://github.com/nickdunn/order_entries.git
    git clone git://github.com/nickdunn/publishfiltering.git
    git clone git://github.com/nickdunn/section_schemas.git
    git clone git://github.com/pointybeard/content_type_mappings.git
    git clone git://github.com/rowan-lewis/browsedevkit.git
    git clone git://github.com/rowan-lewis/logsdevkit.git

5. Clone the Symphony workspace for DesignProjectX:

cd ..
    git clone git@github.com:bauhouse/sym-designprojectx.git

6. Rename the sym-designprojectx directory as workspace:

mv sym-designprojectx workspace

7. Set permissions to allow Symphony to write files to the server:

chmod 777 .
    chmod -R 777 workspace

8. Be sure to have an empty database ready for Symphony (or use a different table prefix). Navigate to the root of the install and provide your preferences, server configuration details and primary user information and click the “Install” button to install Symphony 2 and DesignProjectX.

9. Secure the site by changing permissions for the root and symphony directories.

chmod 755 .

10. Clap your hands with glee!

I tried to add this to the Downloads page as an Ensemble. It’s actually not possible. It was added as an Extension.

This is really cool! And a great example on how to version control your own workspace for usuage on any Symphony installation. Have you only used the Export Ensable for the workspace, just wondering since you created your own export tool aswell? I will check this out, thanks!

I created the Export Install File extension as a way to save changes to the database, archiving only the workspace/install.sql file rather than the entire ensemble. This is all that I really need to maintain the workspace under version control. It is also a workaround for an issue I am experiencing with the Export Ensemble extension where the extension throws an error when there are too many extensions to archive.

@bauhouse, The “Submit new ensemble” link is broken, it links to the default new extension page.

Try submitting it here: Submit new ensemble

Thanks, @sirlancelot. That works. I forgot about the member profile area for managing submitted extensions, ensembles, utilities and showcases.

Updated to Symphony 2.0.6 and includes the install.sql file for the latest entries.

Just want to say a big “Thank you” to bauhouse! This ensemble is greaaaaaaat!

I was aware of the fantastic tutorials on the website, but having access to the workspace itself together with all the tutorials makes it much easier to follow, especially for newbies.

Again, thank you! I appreciate all the work you put in this ensemble :)

@feedpuppy, thanks for the comments. I’m glad to know you’ve been able to learn from the ensemble and the tutorials. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to improve it. There’s lots that I can think of, but it would be interesting to get feedback on what’s good or bad about it. Off the top of my head, tags, categories and commenting are missing features that should be added.

I just started and hopefully will have more time to learn after the holidays.

A tutorial on commenting will definitely help. Maybe also a little more on custom DS and XSLT techniques to take full advantage of the power of Symphony.