Search

Hi all, this is not a Symphony related discussion. I released a free Css/Xhtml template ready for download from my site.

It is a complete site with blog/comments template.

I’m planning to use it for an Ensable. It could be used for spread the world a little bit more about this wonderful CMS.

Let me know if someone is interested on participate.

Hey, that looks pretty good! Can’t wait to see an Ensemble.

Indeed! That looks great. If you don’t have the time to build this into an ensemble, I think someone should!

seriously, i was just about to do it this week and them my PC crashed. hard drive failure. i might have lost all the localhost files. if i manage to fix some things I’ll do it if pngised is to busy. with proper credits, of course.

it would be pretty awesome to see it as defaul template as well, so symphony could be more popular. current one is kind of dull.

@diomed: I’m not so busy, but I have not scheduled to do this soon. I am going to go on holiday (29/07)

This is really good !! I like this ;)

@pngised, that is great template! thanks for sharing!

Thanks to all.

@diomed - it could be awesome if this will became the default template, but it could be one of the possible choice for download, as DesignProjectX by Bauhouse

Some questions to all of you

1. How do you think sections should be configured?
  2. What type of extensions can be useful to include?
  3. Do you think this template needs to be modified in some part?
  4. more free thoughts

There are some requirements for putting something as a default ensemble. Its main focus is to demonstrate to new comers how Symphony works. Therefore, it’s important that the workspace minimises its use on extraneous markup or section structure that may take a user away from understanding the core system. Here are some of the requirements:

The default ensemble should:

1. highlight and demonstrate the different components of Symphony.
  2. refrain from using overly technical techniques.
  3. Use clean, simple HTML markup (this usually affects #4).
  4. Use clear, easy to understand XSLT code.

pngised: I think if your theme can keep to the above rules, there’s no reason why it cannot be the next official Symphony ensemble.

Thanks Allen for the response. I plan to keep the rules you listed for future (september - in August I’m in holiday).

I think I’ve to reorganize the theme’s code for releasing it for Symphony (it does not matter if it is for an Ensamble or default).

One problem I was facing with the current default theme was that it was way too crowded. Comments here and there, notes everywhere, a “weird homepage” wich displays only one article. It simply didn’t look like the default-blog-theme I was used to.

It simply didn’t look like the default-blog-theme I was used to.

Speaking of which… while a blog template is somewhat universal and popular, I wish the default template was not a blog. It leads newcomers into thinking narrowly and seeing Symphony as simply a blogging application.

Speaking of which… while a blog template is somewhat universal and popular, I wish the default template was not a blog. It leads newcomers into thinking narrowly and seeing Symphony as simply a blogging application.

True, but a blog encompasses so many of the day-to-day requirements you need when building a website:

• dynamic, search-engine friendly URLs
  • master/detail pages (list and single views)
  • static pages
  • date formatting
  • re-usable templates to display the same content in multiple places
  • pagination
  • comments (saving data through forms)
  • displaying of images
  • conditional publishing (draft/published)
  • (more that I haven’t thought of)

Nick, true but it still creates incorrect notions about what Symphony is and is not. I think it’s important to have three default ensembles:

• Blogging ensemble
  • Company ensemble
  • Application ensemble

Lewis, I think you are right, but it could be done with two ensembles:

1. Company with blogging
  2. Application

As I wrote earlier I’m going to go on holiday next week, and it was in my planner to make an ensemble from my theme. I am not so good at his time with XSLT (I’m a newbie) so if some of you want to use my free theme as a starting point, it could be downloaded here.

What exactly would a default “application” ensemble look like?

Lewis, I think you are right, but it could be done with two ensembles

Indeed.

What exactly would a default “application” ensemble look like?

Allen’s time tracking application is a good example (I imagine it would need to be updated).

Ah, so you’re thinking any sort of application ensemble, just as a demonstration?

We’ve definitely got some things in mind…

An application ensemble that is imported from an openerp(destop enterprise resource planning) xml file export with a product inventory, and displays the products as a ‘dumb’ webshop client (click to buy>paypal, no cart) would rock!

any takers?, I will be looking into that too, if i find the time