Search

I have discovered a small issue with the code that reconciles the data return by PayPal with matching fields in the originating entry. I am trying to store the date data returned using a date field but it appears to only support text fields.

Has anyone updated the event.paypalpaymentsipn.php code to support different field types? Guessing I would need to check the field type (looks like this isn’t returned from SQL select) or just hack to match payment_date then edit:

$entry->setData($field['id'], array(
        'handle'    => Lang::createHandle($value),
        'value'  => $value
    )
);

Can I just not pass a handle for my date fields? Appreciate everyones help I haven't delved too deep into Symphony's inner workings.

hi all :)

i am currently trying to implement this in a site i am working on. i am having a problem comprehending the IPN feedback coming in ... not coming in ;)

Your IPN data must include an invoice field that matches an entry ID in your site otherwise the data will be discarded (this means when testing via the PayPal sandbox you'll have to manually set the invoice value).

where do i have to include the invoice field? in my form?

a currently have this form

<form method="post" action="" enctype="multipart/form-data">
  <input name="MAX_FILE_SIZE" type="hidden" value="5242880" />

<input name="fields[amount]" type="hidden" value="3" />
  <input name="fields[customer]" type="hidden" value="37" />

<input name="paypal-payments[cmd]" value="_xclick" type="hidden" />
  <input name="paypal-payments[notify_url]" value="{$root}/confirm/" type="hidden" />
  <input name="paypal-payments[amount]" value="amount" type="hidden" />
  <input name="paypal-payments[currency_code]" value="EUR" type="hidden" />

<input name="action[save-order]" type="submit" value="Submit" />
</form>

which saves an entry in the order section and redirects to the paypal site. this is all going well and i can finish the transaction (all in the sandbox). but this is not logged under Paypal Payments.

If I use the "Instant Payment Notification (IPN) simulator" from the sandbox, and provide an entry id in "Advanced and custom information - > invoice", this gets saved to the logs.

I am lost. Maybe someone has had the same problem and can point my error out.

thanks a lot!
daniel

ah... when you try for hours its almost always something simple *g notify-url did not point to the right page because its a subpage in this setup.

thanks anyways.

p.s. another thing i am wondering. is there a way to redirect the user back to the site after he finishes his transaction on the paypal site?

thanks!
daniel

ok, i'm sorry guys! i rtfm now and redirecting from paypal should be no problem with the return parameter.

thanks
daniel

How did you get notify-url to work? Currently I have to rely on the user to return to the screen with the following code.

<input name="paypal-payments[return]" value="{$root}/register/" type="hidden" />
<input name="paypal-payments[rm]" value="2" type="hidden" />

I had the following code set up, but I never got the date back. paypal was just a hidden page.

<input name="paypal-payments[notify_url]" value="{$root}/paypal/" type="hidden" />

hi koolaid,

i don't really know if i understand you correctly. seems to me you did everything right already.

the url you provide with notify_url is just the page IPN data is sent to. to redirect a user back from paypal to your site you need to specify a return url and allow automatic redirects from your paypal account.

• login to paypal
  • go to my profile
  • seller options
  • website payment options
  • automatic redirects

the options may be named slightly different. i have a german account so had to translate ;)

cheers
daniel

azzagazz,

I can get the automatic redirects to work by changing the settings in my paypal account. I also enabled the IPN piece and set my notification url to "{$root}/paypal/"(this page is hidden which shouldn't make a difference, it just doesn't show in the navigation)

In my settings in symphony I just have a blank page with the "PayPal Payments: Save IPN data" event enabled on that page. Is there something I am missing? I have tried both the IPN tester in the developer tools section as well as using the sand box to fill out a transaction on my website.

The only way for me to get transaction page to populate with IPN data is to rely on the user being redirected back to one of my pages and to have the option rm = 2, which will have paypal post data to the redirection page.

Thanks,

Mike

Nevermind its working now for some reason...

Hello,

what does mean Paypal Country in the preferences block? I see UK Australia and USA. I reside in Italy and would use PP mainly for local residents, is it possible?

Thanks...

is anyone planning on making this compatible with symphony 2.3?

Brendan created a new extension called PGI Loader. In my opinion, an updated version of PayPal Payments should be based on PGI Loader. That would make payment gateway extensions for Symphony more consistent and it would be easier for developers to switch payment providers.

The PGI gave me some troubles, although it does look like something I might switch to for future sites. It was easier for me to make the paypal payments extension so I could upgrade my current site to 2.3.

You get get the extension from my fork if you want to test it out https://github.com/koolaid1551/paypal_payments

I also have a pull request in to merge it with the symphonists one https://github.com/symphonists/paypal_payments/pull/7

howdy,

I've used this recently on a small site and everything works perfectly in Sandbox mode, but when I change it to live mode the redirect just shows Paypal homepage instead of the checkout.

I'm not familiar at all with Paypal accounts, so is there some setting in Paypal that I need to check? Something to make the product 'active'? I have added the 'Website Payments Standard' product which is the right one yea?

Thanks in advance.

anyone?

For anyone in the future who uses this and and has issues with it not working in live mode, my issue was with the region.

I had selected Australia, so it was going to .com.au and redirecting to the checkout page. This is no longer Paypal's process, it should always go to .com as they now redirect to the correct country code automatically.

So the extension should probably be updated to remove the region dropdown and have it always going to .com

I have got a return page called 'success' setup and atacched the 'Save IPN data' event atacched to it.
When i set the return url to success/?debug i get the following xml:

<data>
    <events>
    <paypal-payments-ipn result="success">
      <mc_gross>570.00</mc_gross>
      <invoice>627</invoice>
      etcetera....
   </paypal-payments-ipn>
  </events>
</data>

But it somehow doesn't get transformed in the success page?
I am using e.g.: <xsl:value-of select="/data/events/paypal-payments-ipn/invoice"/>
But nothing is transformed after redirect to 'success'
Is this xml acting like response xml after posting an event? or is it a bug?...
Has anyone been able to successfully transform this xml?

Has anybody used this for recurring payments? How did you set up the sections? Can this extension handle future IPN's? Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have built a website which allows for Paypal payments through this extension. Typically, someone orders something, their order gets given an unique ID and then this information is passed to Paypal as a return URL after the user has clicked a button.

I really want paypal to redirect the user automatically after payment. I had a look in the back end of paypal and found the functionality to do this, however it will only allow me to turn on auto-redirect if there is a URL present in the box underneath (the return URL which can be set in the Paypal back end).

Is there a way to turn on auto redirect through the API? or would it be that the Paypal Return URL gets overwritten by the values I specify within the form fields in my API integration?

@ollybradshaw, as far as I know automatic redirect is not possible unless you use PayPal Payment Pro (which allows you to accept payments on your website, customise your checkout and control the payment experience)... However, I think that's not compatible with this extension.

Still, does anybody have any experience with recurring payments. How would you set up the sections? I have used this extension for one off payment before and it is brilliant, however, now we're building a content subscription based website and I am trying to figure out the while thing.

I was thinking of setting up a 'Subscriptions' section that will log the package type, subscription start date, subscription end date, linked user and bunch of IPN values such as paymenttype and paymentstatus. So, this should work and based on that we can filter out content and features on our site. My question is, however, what happens next week/month when PayPal automatically charges the client? I assume PayPal will send an IPN notification, but what should happen then. Do we need to override the existing 'Subscriptions' entry, create a new one or what would be the best way to set it up?

I had read somewhere on the Paypal Documentation that you can set an Auto Return URL in the Paypal back end, but this is overwritten specifically by the [return] field of this extension - will report back to confirm or deny this shortly.