Search

I will.

This extension is fab! I’d hate to see it wither.

I’d also like to see a similar field that, when added, simply removes the ability to create new entries in a section. That might be my next extension if it doesn’t show up. It’d be a good option to add to this one, though. :-)

I’d also like to see a similar field that, when added, simply removes the ability to create new entries in a section.

Why do that as a field, though? Why not just make an extension that allows you to lock sections, either in the section editor or in the preferences interface?

@czheng Good observation.

Why do that as a field, though? Why not just make an extension that allows you to lock sections, either in the section editor or in the preferences interface?

Why not do that with this extension too?

I know basically how it should function. I’d need to be able to list all sections in the preferences area and add the ability to select the ones to apply the extension to. Write that to the database. Then throw in a little bit of JavaScript to hide the “new entry button” on the selected sections.

I’m not sure where to start with the code. Is this the right place to look? http://getsymphony.com/learn/concepts/view/delegates/

knupska has listened to my requests, and the extension code on GitHub is up to date now.

@michael-e Sorry for not responding to your issue notifications, they came through at a time when I was working ridiculous hours on client projects (I’m talking 22-23 hour days, sleeping between 7am - 9am). As such I found it simply easier to bury my head in the sand and ignore the entire problem than to have the issues contribute to my entirely out of control ‘why on earth do I always end up with a million things to do and no time to do them in’ stress level :-)

.. on the plus side.. business is good ;-)

Although I don’t use Symphony on a daily basis for most of my client work I do check the forum quite regularly (to see what has changed). I have a personal project that I’m still trying to find the time to start (it’s always about time!) for which I’m planning to heavily use Symphony so it is in my best interest to keep up to date. In short, I am always floating around I just very rarely log in to the forum when I’m browsing as I haven’t yet found a major benefit of logging in.

@nickdunn Thanks for suggesting contact via my website, as it comes through looking like a client request it is very hard for me to ignore :-)

Static Section (Field) updated to version 1.3 on 11th of December 2009

@MrBlank It’s not necessary to use Javascript for that instead you can manipulate the output.

@MrBlank It’s not necessary to use Javascript for that instead you can manipulate the output.

Approved. Take a look at knupska’s code. :-)

I completely rewrite the extension based on czheng’s opinion. Actually I’ve simplified it. I hope you like it!

http://vimeo.com/8129710

Download

http://github.com/rainerborene/static_section

I made it break! I am the king of bugs!

:-)

Will add this to the bugtracker…

@rainerborene: Oooops, there’s no bugtracker in your fork on GitHub.

Actually the bug is pretty simple: The extension breaks the backend (in Symphony 2.0.6) if no section is “static” in the prefs.

BTW: Your Vimeo video seems to be “private”, so I couldn’t watch it.

Wouldn’t it be cool to have a static section “flag” in the section editor (instead of defining those sections in the Symphony prefs)?

Dummy Screenshot

Attachments:
static-section-002.png

@rainerborene: Oooops, there’s no bugtracker in your fork on GitHub.

Bug tracker activated. I’ll fix that bug.

Wouldn’t it be cool to have a static section “flag” in the section editor (instead of defining those sections in the Symphony prefs)?

That’s a great idea. It looks that Symphony 2.0.6 provides only two delegates FieldPostCreate and FieldPostEdit on sections page. Do you see any way to realize that?

There should be some general backend delegates you could use to manipulate the markup.

@rainerborene Excellent work on simplifying the extension and taking it in a whole new direction. It seems much more intelligent than my original ‘hacky’ solution (for which I wanted something like michael-e has demonstrated above, but I couldn’t work out how to achieve).

I’ve completed the pull as per your request and have also fixed the little issue raised by michael-e above in my commit.

As your version stores the sections that are ‘static’ inside the symphony preferences file instead of the database like mine did, I’d hazard a guess that users should uninstall the previous version before installing the new one?

Static Section (Field) updated to version 1.4 on 13th of December 2009

@knupska:

1. Yup, uninstalling the older version will be useful. Maybe you can add update instructions to the README. [EDIT]: You must remove the static section field from your sections before uninsatlling the old version!!!

2. The extension is still called “Static Section (Field)” in the download section here on the Symphony site. I guess we can drop the “Field” part now. Only you (knupska) or the admins can change the name.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to build my proposal from above, and at the moment I don’t find the time to look into it. Does someone else know a simple way to achieve this?

@rainerborene: I really love the simplicity of the new version. Thank you very much for jumping into this!