Search

A new Extension, “Mediathek 2” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

Over the last month I have been working on a new version of my Mediathek field that uses jQuery (which is now part of the core) instead of Mootools. I've started from scratch rethinking the features and the user interface of the extension. You can find version 2.0 as an unstable beta version at http://github.com/nilshoerrmann/mediathek.

Update 27th September 2009: Mediathek is now released as version 2 stable.

Introduction

Mediathek is the German word for media center. It is an enhancement of a select box field that links entries between sections focussing on connecting media to articles.

Features: Settings

closed Mediathek

• Label: Title of the field
  • Placement: Location of the field (main content or sidebar)
  • Related section: Section to be linked to the current one
  • Allow selection of multiple options: Switch between single or multiple select mode
  • Filter items by tags or categorie: A comma separated list of tags or categories that should be used to filter the output. A minus sign excludes a tag or category.
  • Custom item caption: Template to be used to build the text that represents the linked entries in the Mediathek.
  • Included elements: List of all fields that should be included in the data source output.

Features: Closed Mediathek

A closed Mediathek will only show selected items.

closed Mediathek

• dragging: Dragging items up and down will reorder the Mediathek. This order will be respected in the data source output. Note: You have to save changes to apply your ordering.
  • drag and drop: Dragging items outside the Mediathek allows you to drop the item into any given textarea. Images will be inserted as image tags, files will be inserted as links (The markup will respect your selected text-formatter. Currently supported are Markdown, Textile and plain HTML). Note: Drag and drop is only available for items with files attached.
  • preview: Images and files can be previewed. A small plus icon indicates a conneted file and toggles the preview.
  • unselect: Doubleclick an item to unselect it.

drag and drop

Features: Opened Mediathek

An opened Mediathek will show all items of the related section depending on the given filter values. Items will be sorted alphabetically, selected items will be highlighted. Click edit to open and close the Mediathek.

open Mediathek

preview

• select: Click an item to select it.
  • unselect: Click a selected item to unselect it.
  • preview: Same behaviour as in opened mode.
  • search: Type a term into the search field. Searching will start automatically.

Features: Create New

Click the create new tab to add a new item. Newly created items will be marked as selected automatically.

Great. I was just in this very moment to sit down and make an implementation using the old Mediathek. I’ll go with this one instead.

Please keep this in mind:

And yes: unstable means what it says - so please don’t use it in live environments!

I’m sure version 2.0 needs some more testing before it should be used outside in the wild.

That is kept in mind. :-)

So far, everything looks really nice, likes the new interface a lot.

I just added a few screenshots.

Two things right a way:

1. I’ve got a Mediathek field where the box to allow multiple selection is not checked. But I still want to choose wether a single image should be selected or not. I can’t. One image has to be selected.
  2. To expand the preview, one clicks the plus sign. But to close, I think it would be better with a minus, rather then the current X, which to me is a sign for “delete”.

When you are allowed to select multiple images, all of them can be doubleclicked to empty the list.

Thanks thoresson.

Your first point is a bug which I added to the bug tracker: http://github.com/nilshoerrmann/mediathek/issues/#issue/1

I’m not sure about your second point: I was thinking of an OS window which normally uses an X to indicate the close button.

When you are allowed to select multiple images, all of them can be doubleclicked to empty the list.

What do you mean?

Sorry for being unclear: When the box to allow multiple images are checked in the section setup, all selected images can be doubleclicked to have an empty list. That is, it’s only with Mediathek fields where only one image can be selected that there currently is impossible to have an empty selection. In the other case, with a Mediathek field where multiple choice is possible, the bug does not exist.

You are right about the X. :-)

The search function seems to work on the titles only, is that correct? Would it be possible to have it search other parts of the Mediathek section as well? I would like to define images by tags, and then search for images by entering tags into the search box.

Nils: This is a fantastic update to an already awesome extension. Great work!

This looks like a brilliant update, keep up the good work

The search function seems to work on the titles only, is that correct?

The search function takes the text of the item caption. So it’s a dynamic search but not an AJAX search. Could you please elaborate how you would like the search function to work in detail? Thanks!

Sorry for being unclear: …

No problem, I see the issue now. Could you post this to the bug tracker at http://github.com/nilshoerrmann/mediathek/issues please.

amazing work, this is brilliant!

When the box to allow multiple images are checked in the section setup, all selected images can be doubleclicked to have an empty list

I’ve updated the beta branch and it now shows a message if the Mediathek is empty after unselecting the whole list.

I’ve got a Mediathek field where the box to allow multiple selection is not checked. But I still want to choose wether a single image should be selected or not. I can’t. One image has to be selected.

Concerning the single select problem: The Mediathek now allows the unselection of all entries. But there seems to be the problem, that even if no item is selected the select box reports the first item as selected if you click save. Does anybody know if this is a limitation of single select boxes?

@Allen, @jean-luc and @Fazal: Thank you all!

“Ordinary” select boxes can be left empty if they are set as “optional” in the section settings.

That interface looks wonderful, can’t wait to try it out! Out of curiosity, how different is this implementation compared to version 1?