Search

For all you power users out there: http://github.com/pointybeard/shell/tree/master

Example

The Symphony Shell extension is a framework that allows commands to run from the command line. Commands are scripts provided by this and/or other extensions. See bin/test for an example.

Developers will be able to include commands in their extensions, allowing for operations not suited to web servers. The command API gives access to Symphony core framework, including Database, Config, Log etc.

Please be aware that this extension is in its infancy. There might be problems, limitations or major bugs. It is also necessary to have the latest integration branch code. At time of writing, the latest stable release was 2.0.6.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

Here in Germany we say: “Huiui”. This is, well, wow…

This sounds very useful!

Looks really great.

So, I just wanted to give this a try to figure out whether this was going to work in Windows as well. So, set up with XAMPP (in a non-standard location) and Git Bash, I installed Symphony integration branch and the Shell extension and entered the following:

/c/xampp/php/php -f /c/xampp/htdocs/sym/shell/extensions/shell/bin/symphony --usage

And it works! So, what now? I’ve got a whole lot more learning to do.

I haven’t tried this yet but it looks awesome. I was contemplating some form of crontab manager for Symphony and this might just make it workable!

Nick, would this work with your archiving write-up from your blog?

@Alistair It works on Symphony 2.0.6? I’ve got many errors.

You need the integration branch, according to the README.

And it works! So, what now? I’ve got a whole lot more learning to do.

Take a look at extensions/shell/bin/test. That should give you something to start with. Here’s an example/proof-of-concept script I wrote for the maintenance mode extension http://gist.github.com/168981. After placing it in maintenance_mode/bin, execute using symphony -t XXX maintenance_mode enable

I was contemplating some form of crontab manager for Symphony and this might just make it workable!

Actually the reason I wrote the Shell extension was so we could write a crontab manager. :)

Sweet. I’m soon to start work on ab extension that will definitely need a cron option so this be perfect timing.

Has anyone been able to get this working with MAMP? I’m trying this (skipping #3s in the README):

/Applications/MAMP/bin/php5/bin/php -f /Users/nick/Sites/symphony-demo/extensions/shell/bin/symphony

I simply get no output on the command line. If I add a line at the top of the symphony shell script:

a

I see this in my terminal. But it doesn’t seem like it’s running the PHP. In fact replacing the script with this yields the same lack of output:

<?php
print('foo');

Sad face.

PERMISSIONS! I had to re-run the chmod +x command again.

Now getting a ton of errors, but at least it’s trying.

does it work with the current version? anyone actively using it?

Given the length of this thread, I'm not sure anyone used it beyond testing at the time (two years ago!). I never got it to work even then.

It's still listed on the repo as alpha, so I don't think it works or probably ever will.

newnomad sounds like you're interested in it, would you want to volunteer to fork and maintain it?