Search

Hi,

is there somebody who realized a dynamic PDF export of each Page using XSL-FO for example ? How could this be implemented ?

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Thomas.

Thomas,

Short answer: no, I don’t believe so.

This has been mentioned a few times in the past, with a few PHP libraries mentioned. The most promising (to me) was DOMPDF. This would have to be implemented with an extension.

I think the simplest way for this to be done would be to create a Symphoyn Page type (such as ‘.pdf’) and use that to trigger the parsing of the normal Symphoyn output into this library, then serve the output as a downloadable PDF.

I haven’t really looked into this lib specifically, but the ones I did look at required some preferences to be set beyond just the page content. I think it would be ideal if all parameters could be set in the XML rather than dealing with creating a ‘pdf output’ record for each instance that would have to be set up in the admin and associated with the Page as an event.

Something we are looking at is offering XSL-FO processor as a remote service offering. The idea is that the PDF processing is passed to our Symphony application server, which has the XSL-FO processor and returned back to the client’s Symphony build.

I’m doing something similar for a non-Symphony project. Plan is to setup a simple Sinatra app that uses Flying Saucer and Saucerly to render URLs you pass it to PDFs and spit them back.