Search

A new Extension, “Safari Uploads” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

What a funny coincidence: I noticed that today is my third “Symphony anniversary” (according to my profile page), and today I have finally solved a three-year-old problem.

With the help of Max Wheeler (a.k.a. Makenosound) who pointed things out to me (see this discussion) I developed an extension to solve the “hanging” file upload problem in Safari.

(If you do not know what this is, you won’t need this extension. But if you are using Safari, you probably know.)

Get it from GitHub:

http://github.com/michael-e/safari_uploads/tree

Great work, Michael—neat way of doing it.

Thank you, Max!

The extension has stopped working, probably related to a OS X/Safari update. I have no idea how to fix it at the moment.

If somebody knows how to fix it, please post your thoughts here!

Michael, did you find a way to fix this? I constantly have problems uploading files using Safari (even using version 5).

Have you tried the current version? It seems to work “most of the time” for me.

I tested it using Safari 5 — and it doesn’t seem to work for me. (Well of course it works sometimes but it works sometimes even without this extension … Annoying Safari bug!)

Yes, this bug is annoying.

I will take a look.

I am close to giving up on this extension.

Does anybody have any idea on the Safari file upload bug? It is still alive in Safari 5, but my Symphony extension does not seem to have any significant effect anymore. I have not found anything useful on the web (apart from superstition).

The resolution of the problem doesn’t look very hopeful according to this thread on bugs.webkit.org.

The workaround mentioned in this thread is the same that my extension uses (closing the current HTTP connection, thus forcing Safari to create a new one). I guess my implementation lacks…

I changed the AJAX request. Fingers crossed…

Please test the new release: http://github.com/michael-e/safari_uploads

(EDIT: Please empty your browser’s cache!)

Safari Uploads updated to version 1.1 on 22nd of June 2010

Safari Uploads updated to version 1.2 on 11th of February 2011

Is this still relevant for Safari 5 and Symphony 2.2.5? And if so, wouldn't it make sense to include this small workaround in the default upload field and your unique upload field?

I would be happy if someone could test this. I don't find the time at the Moment.

Anyway I don't think that this should be included in (some of the various) upload fields. It's much better to be able to switch it on and off globally using this dedicated extension.

Safari Uploads updated to version 1.3 on 18th of December 2011