Search

A new Extension, “Maintenance Mode” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

I added a few missing strings and language files for Dutch, German, Portuguese and Russian to this extensions. It would be great if the translation contributors could proof-read and complete their translations and if these changes could be integrated in the main repository.

http://github.com/nilshoerrmann/maintenance_mode

This is a feature request: I normally use the Maintenance Mode while building a site. From time to time I have the need to give someone else a link so that he can have a look at the site. In this case I have to:

1. disable the Maintenance Mode or to
  2. use an authentication token to give access to the site.

Normally, the first is not an option as the website will be publicly viewable. Using an authentication token has the drawback that the user will automatically be logged into the backend (well, that of course is the reason for having ?auth-token).

Would it be possible to introduce a “frontend token” that bypasses the Maintenance Mode without logging the user in? It could be activated and reset in the preferences. Beside the fact that it could be used to offer a viewable link during development it could also be used for JavaScript interactions that call frontend pages using AJAX and that should work even with Maintenance Mode activated.

Would it be possible to introduce a “frontend token” that bypasses the Maintenance Mode without logging the user in?

Sounds like a great idea!

I’d like to see this as well. It’d be great if I want to show early versions of a site to friends or if I want to show something to a client without giving them access to Symphony in an early stage.

Interesting idea. I like it.

The extension says:

to the specified maintenance page.

How do I specify the maintenance page? Is it a page with a type ‘maintenance’?

Yes.

Thanks Craig, should’ve noticed it there! It’s not in the list on the Page Editor though, is that an oversight?

Also, isn’t there a default maintenance page? My site isn’t displaying one…

http://designermonkey.co.uk

I’ve just checked the extension and found the line that calls a custom error if there are no pages with type of maintenance, however it isn’t outputting anything on my site. Any ideas anyone?

I’ve just switched off maintenance mode and I’m getting this error frontend:

XSLTProcessor::importStylesheet(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/o112290/public_html/workspace/pages/home.xsl"
XSLTProcessor::importStylesheet(): compilation error: file /home/o112290/public_html/ line 3 element import
XSLTProcessor::importStylesheet(): xsl:import : unable to load /home/o112290/public_html/workspace/pages/home.xsl
XSLTProcessor::transformToXml(): No stylesheet associated to this object

Ok, my bad. No pages folder in ~/workspace

DUH!

However, Maintenance mode still isn’t working. It just shows no content. No error log either…

Which extensions are you using @designermonkey?

I’ve just done a fresh install of S2.1 with the default extensions. Just moved hosts so that may have something to do with it. Going to dig around the server logs to see if anything is in there too…

It’s probably something I’ve done/not done. I can be pretty crap like that…

EDIT: There’s no info in the server logs. The last entry is me switching the extension back on in preferences.

Very confused…

It should be a permission related problem, check your config.php. The maintenance mode parameter was changed?

###### MAINTENANCE_MODE ######
        'maintenance_mode' => array(
            'enabled' => 'yes',
        ),
        ########

Is that right? I don’t know…

Authors are not allowed to restore a site that's in maintenance mode and thus are redirected to a default 403 (forbidden) page. This doesn't feel right. Shouldn't this extension hide the restore link for authors?

Shouldn't this extension hide the restore link for authors?

Yeah, I'd say so.

Shouldn't this extension hide the restore link for authors?

The preferences suggest that authors cannot view the website, only developers. However this seems not to be the case. Am I missing something? I was looking for this functionality as the preference setting implies this:

Maintenance mode will redirect all visitors, other than developers, to the specified maintenance page.

I have forked a change to this extension at:

https://github.com/theworkers/maintenance_mode

It adds two things:

• Hides the restore link from authors, but retains the alert.
  • Redirects all visitors other than developers to the maintenance page