Search

I joined the Symphony site in 2006. I’ve been dragging around a slightly worse for wear copy of Sam’s “Teach Yourself XSLT in 21 Days” since then, and am finally starting to actually read the damn thing.

From Week One at a Glance: “XSLT is often regarded as a complex technology. In fact, it is relatively simple..” Could this possibly be true? I’ve read many discussions here and elsewhere that seem to indicate otherwise.

So, anybody have any comments about this book? What others are good for XSLT (and/or programming in general) newbies?

I hadn’t worked with XSLT before Symphony and am still scratching the surface (at least that’s what I think). I found it fairly simple to grasp though, and after plowing through my first very own Symphony project just recently I really enjoy working with it. I guess it would have been harder without any previous knowledge of some of the basic concepts though. I wrote some tiny programs at school learning to use “if”, “when” etc. and poked into some Java programming at university, but that’s pretty much all I started with.

I guess XSLT actually might be a complex technology as in “you can do complex stuff with it”, but I find it is rather friendly to work with. I actually just realized you’re asking for a book recommendation, huh … strangely enough, I can’t throw anything into the ring in printed form. I’ve been laughed at for reading books about webdesign before even starting my own projects, but so far, I haven’t had the need to read a book about XSLT. The examples on http://www.w3schools.com/xsl/ have come in pretty handy though.

I got started by reading Manning’s XSLT Quickly. As the title suggests, it got me off to a fast start, and definitely gave me a solid foundation.