Search

A new extension, “WMD Editor” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

I should mention that I’m not a hard-core developer. I created this extension (my first) from a branch of the WMD editor created by the Open Library.

It still needs a bit of work in the style department but as far as I can tell it’s stable in Safari and Firefox. I would love any assistance anyone can give to make sure this is 100% stable.

I know it works in 2.0.7 as that’s where I built and tested it. It should work in any version that has jQuery included.

Oh, and if anyone can help me figure out how to put this on GitHub I’ll gladly do it so others can help maintain it, branch it or whatever.

Oh, and if anyone can help me figure out how to put this on GitHub I’ll gladly do it so others can help maintain it, branch it or whatever.

I’m no expert, but roughly it goes like this:

1. Install Git
  2. Get a Github account
  3. Set up an SSH key (Mac, Windows, Linux)
  4. Configure your Git email settings
  5. Create your repo on Github. You’ll get instructions for pushing to it
  6. Go to your WMD extension’s directory and run git init
  7. Follow the rest of the instructions provided by Github (you’ll have to add your repo as a remote and then commit your changes and push to it)

Hope that’s somewhat helpful.

You just gotta love instructions written by someone who’s obviously a developer. Either I’m missing a dozen steps somewhere or GitHub’s help files are really bad.

What exactly are you having trouble with?

Well, here’s the stuff I think I’ve successfully done:

1. Create a GitHub account (had that already)
  2. Generate a public key
  3. Install Git
  4. Set up the extension in it’s own specific folder
  5. Created the repository on GitHub

Now I just need to figure out how to make that folder a local repository (yes?) and then push it to Github.com.

Ok, have you followed Github’s instruction’s for adding your machine’s SSH key to your Github account?

And have you provided your local install of Git with the right email credentials? (run the following in a terminal):

git config --global user.name "dougoftheabaci"
 git config --global user.email "email@address.com"

Once you’ve done that, cd into your extension’s directory. Then run the command git init. That turns that directory into a git repo. Then you want to add your Github repo as a remote for this local repo you’re creating. The instructions should be on your repo page, something like:

git remote add origin git://github.com/dougoftheabaci/Symphony-WMD-Editor.git

Then you add all the files in the directory to the repo:

git add *

Then you commit them with a message:

git commit -a -m "Initial build"

Then you push them to Github:

git push origin master

That should, I think, do it.

Did indeed! Thank you for the assistance. You can now download it on Git:

http://github.com/dougoftheabaci/Symphony-WMD-Editor

If your on a Mac, have a look at Gity.

i like this extension very much. it’s so helpfull and easy to use, it’s fantastic. if only there were more options.

I agree, I wish there were functions for tables and definition lists.

However, I haven’t meant this to be an end-all-be-all formatter for Symphony. Instead I’ve intended this for use as a sort of stop-gap. Mostly it’s just I needed one for a project I’ve been working on and after I’d got it working I decided to release it for others to use as well.

I’m hoping this proves useful enough until Nils or someone else releases their WYSIWYG editors.

Oh! One thing I forgot to mention is this should work just fine with Mediathek, just as the normal Markdown formatter would as all I’ve done is add a bar above the field.

WMD Editor updated to version 1.0.1 on 25th of March 2010

This took a bit of time for me to figure out, but if you’d like to get this editor to work with the Typography Text Formatters extension you will have to modify wmdeditor/assets/jquery.wmd.function.js and add the selectors: “textarea.typographywithmarkdown, textarea.typographywithmarkdownextra” to the jQuery(“”).wmd() line (line 2).

On second thought, this “bug” should probably be submitted to the typography formatter as it should add the “markdown” class to the textarea.

I have some other changes to merge, so please do submit the bug to the Typography extension, mqchen :)

I’ve added this extension and enabled it but when I try to change the textarea Text Formatter to the WMD Editor I don’t see it available as an option. Am I missing a step?

Nope. Any textarea that’s using Markdown in any of it’s variations should automatically get a WMD Editor bar across the top.

This isn’t working for me. The JQuery function is displaying an error:

jQuery("textarea.pb_markdown, textarea.pb_markdownextra, textarea.pb_markdownextrasmartypants").wmd is not a function
Line 5: "helpHoverTitle": "Markdown Help"

Line 5 ends with a ‘,’ which I’m sure it isn’t supposed to, removing this doesn’t fix the error though.

This function is also (I assume) looking for classnames that are prefixed with pb_ yet the classname attached to the textarea isn’t prefixed.

Any clue? I’m using 2.0.8RC3

I agree Nils, that would be a better solution!

If I remove the comma and remove the pb_ it works correctly (except for the below issue). Nils, your solution is better I think.

Another issue I’ve come across is when this is used on the same page as the Flex Date Field. Flex Date re loads another copy of JQuery (???) which seems to prevent most other JQuery functions on the page from working.

I’m logging it.

Thanks for the solution on this one, Nils. I’ll add your code and update the plugin (and maybe once day when I can figure out how to make GitHub work I’ll update it there, too).