Search

I’m having some trouble with installing Symphony. I am on MediaTemple Grid Server.

Everything goes smoothly with installation, until I get to the last step of the Installation Guide: Conclusion. When I chmod the root directory and the symphony directory to 644, I get a 403 Forbidden error. If I set those two directories back to 775 everything works perfectly.

Does anyone know why this is the case, and if it is insecure to leave them at 775?

I just noticed this on the Git site:

Secure Production Sites: Change permissions and remove installer files.

1. For a smooth install process, change permissions for the root and workspace directories. cd /your/site/root chmod -R 777 workspace
  2. Once successfully installed, change permissions as per your server preferences, E.G. chmod 755 .

I wonder why it’s suggested to change to 755 here, and 644 in the Installation Guide.

It might depend on your hosting environment. But this phenomenon is not specific to Symphony. Any PHP system on a -NIX (aka UNIX/LINUX) machine will have to deal with permissions.

I wonder why it’s suggested to change to 755 here, and 644 in the Installation Guide.

That’s probably an oversight. It will be better to recommend 755, I guess.

Thanks michael. I set root and symphony to 755, and everything seems fine. I guess I just need to read up on *nix permissions.