Search

I’m trying like crazy to figure out how to get some flickr action on my symphony. Tried just using the flickr badge and then was gonna tweak the output with css but that didn’t work.

Any one have any ideas how to do that? Saw there was something at the old overture site that worked for older versions.

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be dope.

What exactly are you trying to do? The out-of-the-box options with Flickr are to either:

• use one of the standard RSS feeds
  • use Dynamic Datasources to construct a call to the Flickr API and return

The RSS feeds should be fine if you’re only trying to replicate the functionality of the Flickr badge, but if you’re looking to do something more complex (pull from specific sets, by tag, etc) then you’ll want to go the API route.

I just want to display 15 of my most recent images in square format and then link to its original on flickr. pretty simple. but can’t seem to figure it out.

I just want to display 15 of my most recent images in square format and then link to its original on flickr. pretty simple. but can’t seem to figure it out.

You should be able to simply use the RSS feed of your photostream as a Dynamic Datasource. It contains all the XML you’ll need to do what you mention above. My photostream RSS is at: http://api.flickr.com/services/feeds/photos_public.gne?id=37996654828@N01&lang=en-us&format=rss_200, you’ll need to replace the 37996654828@N01 with your Flickr ID to see your photos.

Where you might run into trouble is adding the relevant namespace declarations to your datasource, so just make sure you do that.

haha. how can I just add the data source to see if its creating the XML? I’ve made the data source but not quite sure how to attach it to my template and debug. is it <xsl:apply-templates select="flickr" /> ?

After having created your data source that pulls your Flickr feed you need to attach it to your page:

• go to Blueprints > Pages
  • choose your page
  • select your external data source which should be listed under Data Sources

You will then see the XML output when viewing that page in ?debug mode on the front-end, e. g. http://yourwebsi.te/pagename/?debug.

Have a look at the Symphony concepts.

sweet. I keep forgetting that some of this is done in the symphony admin. I’m a learning. So many years of Wordpress and Joomla. Pretty jazzed to learn this though. I dig it.

And thanks for all your help guys.