Search

Is it possible that this is a Firebug related problem then? Have you tried disabling your Firefox extensions?

Hmm, this seems to solve the problem indeed..

In google chrome there is no problem, and in FF with all extensions disabled it works fine too..

Any idea why firebug messes up symphony?

I think the user agent switcher is the root of all evil here.

After enabling it, the white pages popped back up. When all other extensions are disabled, and I enable firebug, all works well.

Since I’ve updated to the patched symphony 2.0.7 I experience the same using Opera (refreshing the page helps). Firefox is ok.

I’ve noticed that this happens (on one of my servers) when group users have write access to index.php. I don’t know why, but revoking group write permissions from the file fixed this.

PS. The server is running cPanel, if that matters.

This has to be the strangest bug, ever..

I’m getting the same behaviour. Happens for both 2.0.7 and 2.0.8. I’m following the beginners ‘Hello World’ tutorial and end up with a blank page on both Pages and Components sections. Refreshing hasn’t worked nor has using Safari instead of Firefox. I have no extensions installed. Running MAMP.

I used my set up earlier in the year and had no problem.

Oddly enough I haven’t gotten it for a while and I don’t know what I’m doing differently.

What are the permissions on the symphony folder and on the index.php file? Also, what does your .htaccess file look like? Would you mind posting your .htaccess on pastie.org and post the link to the code here?

Because no one on the team has been able to reproduce this, we’ll really need your help to get it sorted. Can we ask anyone who’s experiencing this problem to please provide as much info as they possibly can, including:

1. Details on your server OS and setup (e.g. local Ubuntu install, MediaTemple GS, CentOS VPS, Dreamhost…)
  2. Webserver (Apache, Litespeed, or whatever) version and configuration info (modules enabled, etc.)
  3. PHP version and configuration info (a copy of your phpinfo() output would take care of this, and numbers 1 and 2)
  4. Copy of your .htaccess file
  5. Details on your folder/file permissions
  6. Symphony version info
  7. List of installed Symphony extensions
  8. Details on what browser(s) you’re using to access Symphony (version, operating system, and any browser extensions)
  9. Anything else you can think of that’s relevant

Hi, I just tried using xampp instead of mamp and everything worked fine.

When using mamp and Opera I got an error, screenshot attached.

phpInfo and htaccess files for mamp setup are attached.

Running OSX 10.6.3 Permissions all set to read and write for all folders and files Symphony 207 and 208RC2 No extensions installed Firefox 3.6.3 Safari 4.0.5 Opera 10.10

I’m very much a beginner at all this so sorry if I am doing something stupid.

Cheers

Mark

Attachments:
php.ini, htaccess and OperaError.gif

I also got this a couple of days ago on 2.0.8RC1, after not having seen it at all for months! I haven’t been able to recreate it since. Funnily enough, it was on a day when I broke Firefox so had to use Safari, which I almost never use.

• MAMP
  • Safari
  • S2.0.8RC1

I could sometimes fix this by adding something like die('blah); to the top of index.php which forced some output, after which the issue would resolve. But not all of the time.

I could view source and see everything present and correct, but Safari showed a blank white page.

Can no longer recreate :-/

This is probably dumb question, but when using Safari, did you try resetting the browser and with MAMP restarting the server? Anytime, I’ve experienced oddities like the blank screen in Safari, when it wasn’t htaccess or permissions related, restarting MAMP and resetting Safari has seemed to work.

I tried restarting the mamp server and clearing the cache for both Firefox and Safari but no joy.

@sonofdel - Try what nickdunn said in comment #32

I could sometimes fix this by adding something like die(‘blah); to the top of index.php which forced some output, after which the issue would resolve. But not all of the time.

Report back with what output you get.

Hmmm, I didn’t even know what die() was : ) but I do now, well sort of. Anyway, it seems to have cleared it up. I added it to the top of the index.php, refreshed the site and got a bunch of output, then removed it and hey presto its all working.

Cheers

@sonofdel - good to hear.