Search

@czheng, but I read that the reason i was getting the errors was something that was in the workspace that I needed to upload.

Wich error? fatal: Not a git repository?
What exactly did you read and where did you find it?

Sorry, were going across different posts here, my fault there.

http://getsymphony.com/discuss/thread/47968/1/

Alistair says there was an issue with workspace/install.sql file - so I was advised to go with git, and that is where I am here.

What I may do is just do a fresh clean install as I don’t really need the data I have collected in my current site.

Sorry, I can’t follow. I thought you had a working /workspace/ that you wanted to keep?

Ok, I did have a working space I wanted to keep because it had data on it, but thinking through it’s not a major pain in the arse to start again.

It’s becoming a pain getting this git thing to work with an already established installation - so it may be worth just starting from scratch with a clean install.

What exactly have you tried so far? From the top of my head, it should work roughly like this:

1. git clone http://github.com/symphonycms/symphony-2.git symphony-new
  2. git submodule init
  3. git submodule update
  4. Add your custom extensions using git submodule add or simply copy the files into your repo.
  5. Copy your working /workspace/ and /manifest/ folders as well as your .htaccess file
  6. Done.

You won’t exactly end up with the cleanest repository you can get (symphony code repo mixed with your workspace) but it should get your started.

Well I’m willing to start with a blank workspace - I’m actually redesigning my site anyway, there are no blog posts. Just portfolio pieces, which I am probably going to revamp.

Then do the first three steps and create your new site.

Ok, I may have been confusing myself before.

Sure it will be fine once I get the hang of it.

I see. So if the bum install.sql was your problem, then you’ll either have to root out the problem in your DB, or install fresh. Just replacing files won’t do it. Still, these guys are all right, you’ll want to get set up with Git for sure.

yeah well that’s what I’m going to do. I just got confused with Stephen Bauhouse’s method of local and remote repository. Plus terminal stuff always give me a brain freeze.

I need to visually see something in a diagram or something for it to go in.

Ok so I have cd into the my nicktoye.co.uk directory and ran this command to clone Symphony into html

git clone git://github.com/symphony/symphony-2.git html

and it comes back saying this:

destination directory 'html' already exists.

What gives? I am following this by the way - http://getsymphony.com/learn/tutorials/view/install-symphony/3/

Yeah, you’d have to remove or rename the existing folder. You can’t clone into an existing folder.

Doesn’t say that in the tutorial. I have all my other stuff in html like Mint and Fever.

So I guess I would have to temporarily remove those from that folder. Remove it and then run the command again.

Doesn’t say that in the tutorial.

Item #2

Ok well that was easy enough. So now if I need to update my extensions and symphony I can do using Git.

@czheng - fair play. note to self, don’t attempt to do much work with a hangover. :)

This is simple enough now. I see what you all mean now.

Using Git with Symphony can be really efficient once you get the hang of it. We’ll have to get some articles written up soon…

Right, one problem here. All my extensions are not showing up in the admin interface, but they are all visible in the ftp folders.