Search

hmm thats strange, in the ftp they are all there but when I open up the folders they are empty.

You have to do git submodule update

yeah I have done. Let me see what happens if I CD into the Extensions directory.

right, it has to be done in the toplevel directory. So did it in HTML, and still not displaying in the admin interface.

they are just empty folders on the server. I’m going to remove those folders and run the git submodule update again

Nope, followed all instructions and there are no extensions being added via git.

Right, started again with a clean install from the repo and what it is doing is adding the folders in the extensions folder, but they are empty folders.

Any ideas what is going on?

The empty folders would mean you have not yet updated the submodules.

The symphony repo itself contains the empty folders, the content of those folders is stored in other repo’s, and added as submodules.

Have you already ran the submodule update command? EDIT: should learn to read first, you have said a zillion times you have.

For me, this did the trick:

git.exe submodule update --init "extensions"

I’m on windows, so maybe you should replace the git.exe by just git.

well I did that with init and I just got this:

nicktoye.co.uk@cl40:~/domains/nicktoye.co.uk/html$ git submodule update --init "extensions"
Usage: /usr/bin/git-submodule [--quiet] [--cached] [add <repo> [-b branch]|status|init|update] [--] [<path>...]

So I did this

nicktoye.co.uk@cl40:~/domains/nicktoye.co.uk/html$ git submodule update "extensions"
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/29224/users/.home/domains/nicktoye.co.uk/html/extensions/debugdevkit/.git/
remote: Counting objects: 289, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (124/124), done.
remote: Total 289 (delta 136), reused 289 (delta 136)
Receiving objects: 100% (289/289), 55.05 KiB, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (136/136), done.
Submodule path 'extensions/debugdevkit': checked out '4a9a62f3527b95b321855215568d16b7f342f6cd'
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/29224/users/.home/domains/nicktoye.co.uk/html/extensions/export_ensemble/.git/
remote: Counting objects: 161, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (87/87), done.
remote: Total 161 (delta 74), reused 156 (delta 72)
Receiving objects: 100% (161/161), 31.89 KiB, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (74/74), done.
error: pathspec 'a068d9c8765129cd7ac66dc33b0e6b51b0a05521' did not match any file(s) known to git.
Did you forget to 'git add'?
Unable to checkout 'a068d9c8765129cd7ac66dc33b0e6b51b0a05521' in submodule path 'extensions/export_ensemble'
nicktoye.co.uk@cl40:~/domains/nicktoye.co.uk/html$ 

I executed that command inside the extensions folder.

Maybe that helps?

nicktoye.co.uk@cl39:~/domains/nicktoye.co.uk/html/extensions$ git submodule init "extensions"
You need to run this command from the toplevel of the working tree.
nicktoye.co.uk@cl39:~/domains/nicktoye.co.uk/html/extensions$ git submodule update "extensions"
nicktoye.co.uk@cl39:~/domains/nicktoye.co.uk/html/extensions$ 
nicktoye.co.uk@cl39:~/domains/nicktoye.co.uk/html$ git submodule update "extensions"
error: pathspec 'a068d9c8765129cd7ac66dc33b0e6b51b0a05521' did not match any file(s) known to git.
Unable to checkout 'a068d9c8765129cd7ac66dc33b0e6b51b0a05521' in submodule path 'extensions/export_ensemble'

In the main Symphony directory, you should just be able to do:

git submodule init
git submodule update

Yeah but I get this:

nicktoye.co.uk@cl39:~/domains/nicktoye.co.uk/html/symphony$ git submodule init
nicktoye.co.uk@cl39:~/domains/nicktoye.co.uk/html/symphony$ 

From your earlier comments I understand that ‘html’ is the top-level directory of your symphony installation. Above, it looks like you’re trying to run git submodule init from html/symphony, which is the code folder of your installation. You need to run git submodule init from html.

yes I know, I was doing what czheng told me to do. I have ran the command from html.

nicktoye.co.uk@cl40:~$ cd domains/nicktoye.co.uk
nicktoye.co.uk@cl40:~/domains/nicktoye.co.uk$ cd html
nicktoye.co.uk@cl40:~/domains/nicktoye.co.uk/html$ git submodule init
nicktoye.co.uk@cl40:~/domains/nicktoye.co.uk/html$ git submodule update
nicktoye.co.uk@cl40:~/domains/nicktoye.co.uk/html$ 

When I said the “main Symphony directory,” I mean the main directory of your Symphony install, not the /symphony/ directory itself.

Not sure why none of this is working for you… I’ve not had any trouble with the following:

git clone git://github.com/symphonycms/symphony-2.git html
cd html
git submodule init
git submodule update

Is that exactly what you’ve tried?

czheng did say “main Symphony directory” but I think he meant the top-level directory under which you installed Symphony. It’s a bit confusing that Symphony has a subdirectory named symphony. I will try to replicate what you’re doing and see if I get the same errors.

EDIT: Looks like czheng and I were typing our comments at the same time.

In comment 52 you said that you ran

git clone git://github.com/symphony/symphony-2.git html

I tried that instead of the more current

git clone git://github.com/symphonycms/symphony-2.git html

After it successfully updated the debugdevkit extension I got the same error that you reported above

Try doing your git clone using the more current symphonycms. That is, use the exact commands that czheng suggested above.