Search

I ran czheng’s commands and got no errors.

Yeah there’s been some confusion over the change in repos. It’s in the README, but still we’re going to have this problem for a while I’d guess. Need to make sure both repos are up to date…

I followed the tutorial.

http://getsymphony.com/learn/tutorials/view/install-symphony/3/

I think its prevents confusion if the official site has a tutorial that is current, not everyone is up to speed with everyone else, and use the Tutorials as the guide for dummys if you like.

But no problem, I know you guys are doing a lot of good stuff, and it’s appreciated. :)

Ok success.

Because I am new at a certain aspect - such as git, I tend to follow tutorials to save me confusion, but nevermind, I’m up to speed now.

such as git, I tend to follow tutorials to save me confusion

You should start looking at the messages the system is providing you with too.

destination directory 'html' already exists., You need to run this command from the toplevel of the working tree. and fatal: Not a git repository are all pretty self-explanatory, don’t you think?

Tutorial updated.

Well I did do. I cd into html and did that.

It was because the repo was different, its my mistake - but when your new at something you tend to put quite a lot of stock in an official tutorial.

Trying Bauhouse’s workflow and I’m a little confused.

I’m creating the local repository here:

cd /path/to/local/directory
git init
git add .
git commit -m "Initialize repository"
git remote add origin ssh://username@example.com/path/to/private/directory/git/repository_name.git
git push origin master

the “Initialise repository” part, do I type that word for word or am I being totally dumb there? It’s just I did that, obviously changing the path names, and I get this error:

fatal: '/domains/systems.nicktoye.co.uk/git/symphony_2.git': unable to chdir or not a git archive
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

Does the dir really have a .git in its name?

No, the one you are cloning from.

Not sure what you mean sorry, I am just following Stephen’s tutorial.

Now I am totally confused here. I suspect for someone not overly familiar with git other than typing in commands that they follow in a tutorial then an awful lot of assumptions are missed.

I am going to have to study that GIT guide I found the other day and try and understand what I need to do away from Symphony.

That workflow that Stephen posted doesn’t seem to have any indication on how you add files to the repo, or I can’t seem to see it.

What Phoque means is that does your git repo (on your server) have a .git at the end? Github does this, but it doesn’t mean that all repos have .git at the end, it all depends on how you set it up

To push to a repo, you’re going to have to set up a git deamon on the server so it can recieve push’s, it’s not just a matter of having git-core installed. This tutorial has good info on how to set up git, and a link to Gitosis, and a relevant tutorial on that too.

Hope this helps, have fun! :o)

Actually, I’m being dumb. You only need a deamon if you have other collaborators, and if you want to use git:// instead of ssh://

Have you initialised the private repo too? That is the main cause of the error you’re getting…

For what you’re probably going to be doing, the guides you see everywhere are sure to be enough, I have the Git O’Reilly book, and it can get quite technical, which you won’t really need to know unless you have more committing collaborators.

Oh, and

git commit -m "Type any commit message here, this is just your record of changes"

Hope it helps…

@designermonkey - all good stuff. I shall have to pick this up tomorrow, as I’m about to go to sleep.

But your right though, I just need it to be simple.

Thanks @czheng, just read this whole thread and thought, oh here we go.. I'm gonna be flooding the forum with questions about GIT and Symphony integration then boosh.. your link saved the day :)