Search

The Symphony team over the years have invested some of our hard earned cash on sound gear (like a radio call-in system that we’ve yet to fully take advantage of) and other awesome geekery.

Our very own Craig Zheng has also recently invested some capital on getting sound equipment.

So why the investment? We’re ramping up production on doing more regular podcasts and also tutorial videos. What we currently lack however, is someone to help us make a Symphony opening theme for our screencasts and podcasts.

If you are a musician or a sound engineer and would be happy to help us out on making something fitting for us, let us know!

Investments are always a good thing, but why not use the sound studio you guys have been using?

By the way, did you read my email?

Investments are always a good thing, but why not use the sound studio you guys have been using?

I guess because it’s getting a bit cramped in there quickly. :-)

Investments are always a good thing, but why not use the sound studio that you had used a long time ago?

Because that “sound studio” now has a baby seat installed! As far as my daughter is concerned, it’s now her sound studio…

Also, the radio call-in gear needs a physical landline hooked up. Hopefully we’ll be able to get Craig into the podcast regularly through this method.

We’ve also got a podcast we did with the gangs from Icelab late last year that I still need to edit and release.

[Off topic] @rainer: We’ve got your email but it’s really not something we can decide on until all the team members can get together and chat about. It’s the Easter holidays here in Australia, UK and US so we won’t have an opportunity to discuss it until Tuesday next week.

@Allen We’re talking about the $50,000 AUD sound studio?

[Off topic] @allen No problem. I already started doing some tests, and working on the documentation too.

@rainer: You might want to listen to the podcast again. That “sound studio” is my car ;)

You could always bug Marcus Lillington of the Boagworld podcast and see if he’d be interested. He’s a musician and there are a number of us Symphonites (Symphonians?) who frequent the Boagworld forum.

Beyond that, I know a lot of podcasts use creative commons music from sites that specifically provide songs for the use with podcasts. That’s what Freelance Radio and Creative Expert do, if memory serves.

I’ve thought about using public domain / creative common license music, since it fits our overall philosophy. I was looking at something either “classical Symphony” themed (and thus in the public domain) or a modernised orchestral music, something akin to movie/game soundtracks however I haven’t found anything that fitting yet.

If anybody has a piece of music (or a sound loop) to recommend, please do share.

Hmm. From the sound of it what would be ideal would be something akin to “Clubbed To Death” by Rob Dougan. Or possibly something from Tomas Dvorak (wrote the soundtracks for the Machinarium video game).

In the case of Dvorak you could talk to him directly and see if he has anything he could license to you or if he’d be willing to write anything.

Dougan… Not as likely I don’t think.

Are you guys close to Adelaide? Maybe ask the swiss?