Search

Hey peeps.

Being a newbie. I was playing around with the pages under the Blueprints.

I was just tweaking the Save Comments page to make it do my thing.. Then erm… I might have accidently deleted the wrong field and saved the file straight away.

Noww… My Comments don’t show.

Has anyone got a screenshot of the default save comments page… or able to tell me exactly what it is I’ve deleted?

Thanks a lot

You can find the code for the default workspace on GitHub. Try the articles template.

Hi Etch,

Not sure what you’ve deleted: fields in the section editing page, or something in your XSLT?

If its the XSLT here’s the copy from the github repo.

Bauhouse, beat me by 5 whole minutes. Anyway, my link is to the get-comments utility.

Oh no. Thank you but erm.. I’m such a noob that I just discovered I wasn’t even on the save comments.

I was in the awesome editor thingy on Blueprints > Sections > Comments Then pressed ‘Remove item’ and save changes without double-checking.

Stupid I know, but yeah. How do I fix this?

[edit] I was reading/writing my comment at the time but I think ashooner has solved my problem? Thanks :)

Oh nooo… That didn’t work either. Gosh what a mess I’ve made already!!

I could just reinstall? I’ve not tweaked that much yet.

You could reinstall, but it would be a better learning exercise to fix it ;).

1. You need to determine what field you deleted, then recreate it. Be sure it’s the same field type and name.

2. Since you deleted this Field from your Section, you will need to go to Components>Datasources, and open the comments datasource to be sure the deleted field (once you’ve replaced it) is still included in the output fields (the multi-select box in the lower-right corner). If it is unselected, go ahead and select it (along with everything already selected, ctrl click it)

That should do it.

Edit: The above intructions assume you deleted 1 field in your Comments section. If you’ve actually deleted your whole comments section, then yeah I would maybe go ahead and reinstall.

Not sure which version you’re using, but the default fields that made up the comments section in 2.0.6 were:

1. Author (Text Input)
  2. Email (Text Input)
  3. Date (Date)
  4. Article (Select Box Link)
  5. Comment (Textarea)

Based on the fact that it is the comment text that isn’t showing, I’d say you deleted the Comment (Textarea) field.

Yeah.. I think it’s definitely the textarea I deleted. It would have been whatever comes under email.

I’ve tried to put it back but it’s still not showing. I’m probably doing it wrong, but I’ve tried all combinations offered from the new textarea. I don’t know what I’ve done to be honest lol. This is quite a typical scenario for me when learning new things.

As much as I’d like to fix it, it’s probably a case of reinstalling. Maybe through github this time as well… Seems like a good way to go..?

I am on 2.0.7 I believe. Latest non-beta from the past 48 hours anyway.

Thanks. You guys are helpful, for sure. I am half Irish after all.

If you’ve added the textarea, you will also need to make sure that this field is added to the data source. Make sure that the comment field is included in the Comments data source.

If you still want to reinstall, you may already have everything you need to reinstall. But be sure this is what you want to do. I would recommend backing up what you do have.

For Symphony 2.0.6 and above, to reinstall, remove the .htaccess and the manifest directory. Drop all tables in the database and you should see the install page when you navigate to the root of your Symphony install. Install as usual. If you want a clean install (no default theme), remove the workspace directory.

Haha.. After some crazy antics with config.php, phpMyAdmin and having to rename the manifest folder as it wouldn’t delete…

All sorted!! Back to normal. Surprised I could still use some of that stuff after such a long time as well. Round two when I wake up then. I won’t be saving any changes without double-checking ever again, that’s for sure.

Ah joy :)

Thanks a lot everyone !