Search

For those of you who haven’t noticed, there’s a Symphony 3.0.0 Beta available on GitHub.

I downloaded and attempted to install it but no love. Still, interested to see what happens next.

When I did the install I filled out the form and upon submitting it sent me back to the same page but it was blank. No errors, no additions to the database. Not sure why. Must keep looking!

This is the error that I receive when trying to install the Symphony 3 Beta.

Warning: date_default_timezone_get() [function.date-default-timezone-get]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/user/Sites/test3.local/public/install/index.php on line 75

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: No such file or directory in /home/user/Sites/test3.local/public/install/index.php on line 246

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Could not create directory workspace. TODO: Handle this by recording to the log and showing nicer error page.' in /home/user/Sites/test3.local/public/install/index.php:247 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in /home/user/Sites/test3.local/public/install/index.php on line 247

I was able to get it to install in MAMP. Quite fun so far. I don’t think I did anything different.

I’m also running MAMP but am getting the same problem as @dougoftheabaci.

What did you have to do to get it working?

@TheJester12: Are you running Snow Leopard and the lastest version? It’s kind of weird. What are your settings?

I’ve just installed it on MAMP. I tried using php 5.3.2 but got a blank page. Changed to 5.2.13 and tried again and it installed fine. Cool.

I’m on 10.6.3 and using a version of MAMP downloaded about 2 weeks ago, so probably the latest version.

Ah, that’d be why as I’m using 5.3 in my install. Anyone have any word on what it would take to make it work otherwise?

I got it to work by replacing line ~245 in /install/index.php

$path = realpath("../{$f}");

with this:

$path = "../" . $f;

For some reason the realpath() function was returning empty for me.

It was presented to us today at Symposium. The installer is a little last minute, Craig and Allen had to put it together last night, last thing.

It’s an awesome system! I’ll leave it for the core team to talk about it on the blog though…

It’s not that the installer is last minute, actually. Alistair had it running fairly well a while back but there have been changes to it in the meantime that seem to have introduced some bugs.

Ok, so without gushing too much, my personal favorite new feature right now is the views-as-datasources. I’ve been faking that for so long, now I get to use it (I assume) without superfluous http requests to my own sites!

You all might be interested in seeing a quick and dirty changelog: http://getsymphony.com/discuss/thread/39550/9/#position-166 It’s not everything, but should give a pretty good idea of what’s new in the system.

Couple bugfixes put in by Alistair just now. Trying to chase one or two others…

AWESOME!AWESOME!AWESOME!AWESOME! :D Playing with it now - IN LOVE with the system writing out XML configs for everything to disk. Mad props guys.

I’m testing Symphony 3 on Ubuntu 10.04 running Litespeed, PHP 5.3.2, and after Alistair’s fixes, I’m still unable to install Symphony 3.

Here’s the errors I receive…

Also, I get this when I pull up the install page (/install/index.php)…

Warning: date_default_timezone_get() [function.date-default-timezone-get]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/install/index.php on line 75

Warning: date_default_timezone_get() [function.date-default-timezone-get]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/symphony/lib/class.datetimeobj.php on line 19

Warning: date_default_timezone_get() [function.date-default-timezone-get]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/symphony/lib/class.datetimeobj.php on line 21

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/symphony/lib/class.datetimeobj.php on line 24

Warning: date_default_timezone_get() [function.date-default-timezone-get]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/symphony/lib/class.datetimeobj.php on line 19

Warning: date_default_timezone_get() [function.date-default-timezone-get]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/symphony/lib/class.datetimeobj.php on line 21

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/symphony/lib/class.datetimeobj.php on line 24

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/install/index.php:75) in /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/symphony/lib/class.documentheaders.php on line 18

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/install/index.php:75) in /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/symphony/lib/class.documentheaders.php on line 18

THEN, I fill in the essential details to install Symphony 3, and then I click the Install Symphony error and I get this…

Warning: date_default_timezone_get() [function.date-default-timezone-get]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/install/index.php on line 75

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: No such file or directory in /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/install/index.php on line 246

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Could not create directory workspace. TODO: Handle this by recording to the log and showing nicer error page.' in /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/install/index.php:247 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in /home/user/Sites/public_html/test3.local/public/install/index.php on line 247

AND ALSO creates this .htaccess in the process…

### Symphony 3.0.x ###
Options +FollowSymlinks

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteBase /

### DO NOT APPLY RULES WHEN REQUESTING "favicon.ico"
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} favicon.ico [NC]
    RewriteRule .* - [S=14]

### ADMIN REWRITE
    RewriteRule ^symphony/(assets)/(.*)$ symphony/$1/$2 [NC,L]
    RewriteRule ^symphony/?$ index.php?symphony-renderer=administration&%{QUERY_STRING} [NC,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f 
    RewriteRule ^symphony(/(.*/?))?$ index.php?symphony-page=$1&symphony-renderer=administration&%{QUERY_STRING}  [NC,L]

### FRONTEND REWRITE - Will ignore files and folders
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^(.*/?)$ index.php?symphony-page=$1&%{QUERY_STRING}    [L]

</IfModule>
######

IT DOES NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THE DATABASE.

ON MY MAC, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, running Apache and PHP 5.3.1.

Using Safari 5 to install. I don’t receive the timezone errors like I did on my Ubuntu machine above. But after I fill in all the info on the install page. it just sends me to a blank page. It also creates and .htaccess file and the workspace folder with the new structure… but the folders are not populated with any files.

root site folder is set to 777. No writing to the database.

STILL cannot access Symphony 3. Help!

@bzerangue: Try throwing date_default_timezone_set("GMT"); at the very top of the install/index.php file. Also, index.php. That might help with those warnings. I have also committed a small tweak to the installer file which will display the full path of the directory it is trying to create. You might be having problems with the realpath() call.

Grabbed the latest version from Symphony this morning and it works! My first thoughts are guys, it’s brilliant! I cannot wait to see this hit full release!

I’m sure you planning on releasing this at some point, but I know for my own purposes a quick guide on how to update extensions so they’re 3.0 friendly would be great. I checked my WMD Editor and it throws and error, I’m looking into that one based off the other extensions.

One issue I did run into (and let me know if this is the wrong place) but I created a section then created an event to send e-mail but when I saved I got a Symphony Warning. Now any time I try to look at the events page I see this warning. Any thoughts? I’ve attached a PDF printout of the page.

Attachments:
Symphony Warning.pdf

@Alistair - Thank you!!! Your changes worked perfect on my Ubuntu machine. I’ll try on my Mac, but I’m sure that will work too.

This is very cool indeed. It’s really fast.

I hope there will be a way to port Symphony 2 over Symphony 3 (once v3 is ready for primetime). Also, documentation for the current version and the future version would be great for all Symphonians new and old.

Really encouraged by the changes. Look forward to seeing how this grows. Thanks so much you and all of the team’s work!

What about Symphony 2.1? Symphony 3 came really fast.