Search

Hmm. That’s a good question. Is 2.1 now 3 or is this just a really early beta and we’re just getting a look at it so we know what’s coming after 2.1?

The difference for me is whether or not I put any real time into learning it’s ins and outs.

@Alistair - As I mentioned in my last comment, I was able to install on the Ubuntu machine, but when I tried on the Mac (Snow Leopard / Apache / PHP 5.3.1)… No errors displayed, just blank. It creates workspace folder (with nothing in it except for blank folders) and a .htaccess file. It doesn’t write to the database. It is blank and then when you try to go to the symphony page or the home root, it just redirects the install page. Have you run across that on Snow Leopard (default Apache install)?

Is this really beta? Or a working alpha? Because if it’s beta then I have a feeling the bug tracker might begin to get flooded. Maybe the bug tracker will need a version selector to filter on, when a beta drops.

@Doug: It contained too many deep structural changes to be just a point release. So what one was 2.1 has evolved into 3.0. A blog post will follow soon.

@Nick: Probably somewhere in between. The new bug tracker is imminent and has the features you suggest, but in the meantime bug reports should just be emailed to me: craig@ this domain.

@Brian: There is some documentation, you know ;)

Finally got it installed and about 10% working.

So far it looks very promising!

There are a few things that I didn’t really understand:

1. What happened to the auto-detection of extension class names? I really liked the fact that the name of the class was determined by the extension name, thus making them very consistent..
  2. Why are fields included in the section editor when they are not yet installed?
  3. In the user roles, is it possible to limit access to a specific field in the section aswell? This would make this even more powerful!

@Craig: bugs coming your way!

I’ve had no problem installing on MAMP which is running PHP 5.2.11 but on my Webfaction hosting which is also running PHP 5.2.11 I get a 500 error. The error logs say:

[Mon Jun 14 05:39:26 2010] [error] [client 78.146.123.164] malformed header from script. Bad header=Content-Type: php52.cgi

and sometimes this also: [Mon Jun 14 05:39:25 2010] [error] [client 78.146.123.164] File does not exist: /home/almacmillan/webapps/s3beta/favicon.ico

Anyone able to help?

Wow, Symphony 3 is just gorgeous. Nice work. And I also enjoy all the new functionality and flexibility, this will change a lot.

Can’t wait to work with this in a productive environment…

and sometimes this also: [Mon Jun 14 05:39:25 2010] [error] [client 78.146.123.164] File does not exist: /home/almacmillan/webapps/s3beta/favicon.icoalmacmillan/webapps/s3beta/favicon.ico

That’s just a mission favicon. Not sure why that would cause an error, but dropping in any favicon file would fix that.

Installing locally (Mac OS 10.5.8, PHP 5.2.12, MySQL 5.0.67) seemed to work fine, and I was able to sign in, but the admin section returns

An error occurred in /Users/bdrum/Sites/symphony-3.0.0alpha/symphony/lib/class.administrationpage.php around line 328

Complete warning attached.

Attachments:
Symphony Warning.pdf

Symphony 3 Beta works perfectly on MAMP, but on my shared host, Bluehost, I can’t view the installer. All I get is this error message, sorry I can’t be more descriptive!

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

I’m guessing it has something to do with PHP or MySQL versions?

PHP: 5.2.13
MySQL: 5.1.47-community-log
Apache Version: 2.2.15

@TheJester12

FWIW, the first google result is bluehost specific. Looks like you’ll need to get with them about it.

I have 3.0 installed and running on Ubuntu 10.04, but I’m a bit confused. Why are tables created in the db that have to do with articles, comments, categories and images when no sections are created? Is my installation incomplete?

If no sample site is intended to be created with the install is there one available that can be downloaded?

I am loving this beta. I’ve ported across a couple of my extensions in case anyone is using them and wants to help test:

There will be more to follow as I build up what I need to construct a complete site. So far, very, very impressed - great work, team!

Wisolman, the entry data in the db table shouldn’t be there. The beta installer might have bundled an older install.sql file and you should be able to delete those tables without repercussion. Always back up your db though, just in case.

Is there a version of the Markdown Text Formatter extension that is compatible with 3.0.0?

There aren’t any extensions that have been updated yet, as far as I know. Symphony 3 will not be production-ready for quite some time.

@Wisolman: The experimental branch of Markdown on GitHub works with 3.0 as best I can tell. I’ve been trying to update my WMD Editor extension but I’m having a little trouble getting it to work in 3.0. I’d appreciate any help anyone can give.

Long-overdue blog post on Symphony 3. Please do give it a read.

Thanks dougoftheabaci. The experimental branch doesn’t cause a fatal error and it does show the markdown options in the section editor dropdown — but it doesn’t do any formatting. I’m looking into that now.

Edit: I found that the problem was with my XSLT rather than the extension. It seems to be working well now.