Search

A new XSLT utility, “Video Embed” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

Just wanted to let you know that I provided some enhancements to your utility:

You’ll find the changes in your issuetracker.

Thanks ciryx. I’ll take a look at it later this evening if I can. I also need to incorporate vimeo’s latest changes as well.

I would highly recommend you look at the Video For Everyone code. this utility is great for video embeds from mainstream websites, but it has no HTML5 support (really easy to add) and doesn’t appear to really work with user-uploaded content.

Both of these are really easy to add with only a few more lines.

There is also the issue of cross-browser compatibility. Since you’re using only the object tag there are a few older browsers that won’t get the video at all.

Would also be nice to have some poster-image functionality.

Video Embed updated to version 1.1 on 13th of September 2010

This utility has been updated for the new embed code (iframe) being used by Vimeo and YouTube.

Thanks, great stuff.

Iframe embedding sucks… I highly doubt that’s what the html5-people had in mind when proposing the video-tag.

In a worst case scenario, you’ll end up with an iframe containing an embedded flash-object. That’s even worse than embedding flash directly on your site.

Even if your browser supports html5-video, it’s simplicity is totally fucked up by embedding it via iframe.

Services like YouTube or Vimeo should either provide a source-url for proper html5-embedding (the Video for Everybody-way) or just stick with flash.

Hey Jens,

harsh words there… Embedding YouTube and Vimeo videos using an iframe is certainly not the nicest way but it is the official recommendation. You can always use the Video for Everybody way of embedding videos if you prefer it. The iframe solutions is somehow nice since the player choosing is deferred to each service. If you build your own solution maintenance is your own issue.

If you want to recommend a different embedding form you should maybe post this in the feedback forums of the related services.

Hi Johannes,

I know it’s the new official (beta) way of embedding. So my post wasn’t meant to criticize Brian’s XSLT utility at all.

Just wanted to point out what’s going wrong here in general. Same for Facebook’s Social Plugins.

how to use this xslt utility to implement in front end..that is how to bring the output videos in front end..

@deivanai - Post your XML for us on pastie.org.

I added support for youtu.be-links: https://gist.github.com/1900613

I added support for youtu.be-links: https://gist.github.com/1900613

@kanduvisla, Nice addition. I'll update the utility. Thanks!

Video Embed updated to version 1.2 on 24th of February 2012