Search

Email Newsletters updated to version 1.0.8 on 22nd of January 2011

A smtp-encryption option has been added to enable connections to Google Mail using port 465 and smtp-encryption='ssl'. Please note that Swift Mailer’s TLS support is buggy, so you probably won’t succeed is using the TLS encryption setting.

Michael, will this be ported to s2.2 using the new email API?

You bet. But there is no time frame at the moment. All I can say is:

• The current version of the extension should work on S2.2 (which I will verify when the RC is out).
  • The new version should not only use the Core Email API, but might feature a new approach. I am working on a very big project at the moment (which will take 5 months from now). This project will need lots of email stuff, and it might bring a more mature approach to email events/Newsletters.

Maybe you can help me. :-)

Maybe you can help me. :-)

That’s one of the reasons I asked! Would be an honor;)

Thanks!

This week I am still engaged in “project management” (timeline etc.), but I will contact you via email when these things are done.

Awesome… :D

Email Newsletters updated to version 1.0.9 on 14th of February 2011

Please note that 1.0.9 is not a comaptiblity release for Symphony 2.2, but just solves a problem I had with remote-controlling email newsletters (using CRON). (No, CRON control this is not a feature of this extension. But it can be done…)

Regarding Symphony 2.2: There will probably be a complete re-write of the extension to use the new Core Email API (and maybe some cool new ideas by @creativedutchmen…). But this may take some time. In the meantime, I invite everybody who is using this extension (hey, actually I have no idea how many people run this stuff) to test it against 2.2. The current version may or may not work with Symphony 2.2. I have not checked the extension code, because I simply don’t find the time at the moment. And there is another reason for me to not change too much if there is no real need: The beast is running smoothly for some of my clients, and is has sent hundreds of thousands of emails without any issues. But if you have the need to run this extension on 2.2, please post any problems here! I will try and help.

As I said, the 2.2 rewrite may take some time, depending on the feedback from the community. But it will definitely happen. :-)

hi, i want to send newsletter to registered members.. how could i get registed members in newsletter configuration..

Please don't post twice.

Please explain a bit more what you are trying to achieve. Do you use the Email Newsletters extension? How does your member system work?

uthayavin, please do not double post, and please continue your request in the new thread, not here.

@michael-e, would you have time to do a quick screencast showing basic setup of this extension and how to use it? I think that would help to clear up any misunderstandings on how to use this. I think it would be a wonderful sidekick to your documentation. I know you are quite busy, and I was just wondering if a brief screencast would be feasible.

Or if any other user has successfully setup this extension, and could do a screencast, that would be awesome! I know it would be great help the community. I know it would be helpful for me as well.

@bzerangue: I am very sorry, but I won't find the time. I really hoped that my 25 kB README file would help setting this up... If there are any specific questions (or insufficient parts in the REAMDE), I am glad if I can help, of course.

Please note that the extension will be rewritten in the next weeks to make use of the Core Email API in Symphony 2.2.

Just want to keep that thread nice and warm :) Michael, how's it going? I just implemented my wanna be Email Newsletter with the Email Template Manager, hope it will work until the update is released...

cheerio!

Hi! Unfortunatley we got stuck in the middle of the development. The plan now is to finsih it by mid July. Fingers crossed!

Okay for some reason I got curious and installed and configured the whole thing...

Now I get the following error:

Caught exception: Address in mailbox given [] does not comply with RFC 2822, 3.6.2.

is there some easy fix? like hardcoding some values?

Thanks!

That looks like a SwiftMailer error. It should not happen with the recipients list. Can it be that your sender email address is invalid? Can you double-check your configuration XML (or post it here, without the passwords!).

Weird, I commented out that verification bit in the SwiftMailer, now it's just processing forever... By the way, I'm running Sy 2.2.1

Here's the conf xml

<email-newsletter>
<live-mode>1</live-mode>
<debug-info>1</debug-info>
<subject-field-label>Title</subject-field-label>
<senders>
    <item id="1" email="outbox@cmcks.com" smtp-host="cmcks.com" smtp-port="25" smtp-username="outbox@cmcks.com" smtp-password="***" reply-to-email="outbox@cmcks.com">outbox@cmcks.com</item>
</senders>
<recipients>
    <group id="1" page-id="99" entry-node="entry" name-node="name" email-node="email" code-node="code">some Group</group>
</recipients>
<content>
    <page-html page-id="111" url-appendix="{$id}/"/>
</content>
</email-newsletter>

Forget to debug SwiftMailer. :- ) It's way too big and complicated. (This is why the successor to Email Newsletters will use the Core Email API.)

When the background process dies suddenly, it can not reset the status of the job in the database. So you may still see "Processing..." while the job has died months ago. You may delete the line from the database, however.

SwiftMailer probably died because of an invalid address. Your sender address looks perfectly valid to me. I am stumped.

Can you try it with one valid test recipient? (The easiest way is to filter your recipients datasource by an email address.)

Hmmm so swift mailer will be history... Good ;)

Now about the test message, I tried that several times using real addresses of mine... When sending it counts two recipients, but then errors or doesn't stop processing.

Hmmmm... Any clues?