Search

@Michael: I will have time to fix the last few outstanding bugs in the new Email Newsletter Manager this monday. I will also try to fix up the Amazon SES gateway by then, so we can release both at the same time.

@All: the ENM will need a few complementary extensions to be really useful (statistics, bounce/list management to name a few). Are you interested in helping me out developing these?

@creativedutchmen, I'm very excited about this release! I'm not sure to what extent I will be able to help with the complementary extensions, but count me in.

I finally purchased a macbook pro (yay!), which will greatly speed up my development in the future, and hopefully also make me more happy in general.

Unfortunately, I have spent all week getting my apache, php and mysql installation to work, getting to know textmate and making fun of my last collegue still using windows. Long story short: I have not yet fixed the bugs in the ENM. Sorry!

Unfortunately, I have spent all week getting my apache, php and mysql installation to work

Maybe this advice comes to late, but you should consider using XAMPP for OSX?

but you should consider using XAMPP for OSX?

I have, and I hated it. It made me type my password every time I started up my server, it was slow and it looked terrible.

In the end I have compiled everything from source using macports, which was a bit more work, but very much worth it in the end.

It made me type my password every time I started up my server

Ah yes, it has the habit to do so... if you actually turn off your mac. I just leave mine running all the time. It will go stand-by when I close the monitor and hibernate if it runs out of power. I probably only have to restart XAMPP 5 times a year :)

using macports

I don't use flink or macports... it feels like giving away control... which is somewhat strange because I do use zypper, apt-get or yum on linux servers. :)

but you should consider using XAMPP for OSX?

You just need MAMP Pro. Nuff said.

;o)

I stopped using XAMPP a long time ago. Nowadays, on a Mac, the pre-installed Apache/PHP is fine from the start. And it's a breeze to install MySQL using the "official" installer. What else should I need?

I'm (happily) using MAMP although it has the same issue with the password prompts. There are some workarounds and even an app to remedy that though.

Mac People: consider Homebrew as an alternative to Macports, all the cool kids use it these days :)

Yep, Homebrew ftw, I use it for installing everything these days.

@david, I have been looking at homebrew too, but I preferred MacPorts (not sure why).

Is there a specific reason why I should switch? If Homebrew has big advantages I can switch now, but not in a few weeks;)

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciated!

Heisann,

I’ve been trying to set up this epic extension, and trying to follow every step, double-checking everything, and so on … still it fails to send mails. It simply resaves the entry, but no progress or errors, and no mails are sent.

Any suggestions where I should look first?

My provider assured me that the PHP CLI is on my server. Should this be visible in info();? Because it is not.

Cheers!

No, it is not visible with phpinfo(), because this only displays Apache's PHP.

• Are there any logs in /manifest/logs/email-newsletters? (Probably not, if the CLI is missing.)
  • Please ask your provider if Apache's PHP is allowed to start a CLI process.
  • Do you have shell access?

Thanks Michael,

• no logs were created
  • my provider says php-scripts can start cli-processes
  • I don’t have shell access :(

My head hurts, but that’s not because of this extension :)

What else could cause a silent error? Or if it is easier to answer, what would cause a visible error?

I admit that this extension is hard to debug...

Do you see any JavaScript errors in the browser console?

Another idea: Can you copy the website in question to a different server and test what happens there?

@michael-e no js-errors, will try to install a copy in MAMP, though I have to check for CLI-support there first …

thanks!

Okay, the PHP CLI-SAPI is most likely not the problem. The extension behaves exactly the same on MAMP, where PHP CLI-SAPI seems to be working fine.

• Would it throw an error if it was unable to connect the SMTP-Server?
  • Is entry-node= expecting an absolute xpath like entry-node="/data/newsletterabonnenten/entry"
  • Will the Newsletter Manager be easier to set up? :) And will it be ready sometime soon? (asking for my client …)

Thanks for your help so far!

Would it throw an error if it was unable to connect the SMTP-Server?

Yes, it should. The error should be visible after clicking on "send".

Is entry-node= expecting an absolute xpath like entry-node="/data/newsletterabonnenten/entry"

No, this node is relative to the document root node. In most cases it will simply be entry-node="entry", assumed that your XML looks similar to this:

<presseverteiler>
    <section id="81" handle="presseverteiler">Presseverteiler</section>
    <entry id="20676">
        <e-mail handle="peter-examplecom">peter@example.com</e-mail>
    </entry>
</presseverteiler>

The email node is relative the entry node, so in this example it will be email-node="e-mail".

Will the Newsletter Manager be easier to set up? :) And will it be ready sometime soon? (asking for my client …)

A lot easier. And yes, it will be released soon. Huib is working on fixing the last bugs. Documentation is still on the To-Do, but usage will be easier anyway!

If you have some time left, I encourage you to wait for the ENM. It will be a much better extension.

If you have some time left, I encourage you to wait for the ENM. It will be a much better extension.

Thanks a lot Michael, guess I will wait for ENM then :) is it rather a matter of days, weeks or months?