Search

I got a pretty large site running on Symphony 2.0.4 (www.supertrash.us), and in time it will need a upgrade I think. To what Symphony version would that be possible (I guess 2.0.8), and what would be the best way to do that?

Would the upgrade feature work ok (I haven’t tried that so far), or would installing a new symphony from scratch and importing the necessary database entries be an option (that sounds like trouble though)?

You should wait until Symphony 2.0.8 is released and use that.

Upgrading should be as simple as usual (following the README). It generally involves:

• replacing index.php
  • replacing the /symphony folder
  • updating extensions (manually)

The last step can take time to track the latest version of extensions, if you’re not using Git. Most third party extensions will be compatible with 2.0.8, but be sure to check the Compatibility table. You should get hold of the latest “official” extensions such as Select Box Link, Debug Devkit and the Profile Devkit as these will be optimised for the latest release.

The best option would be to take an entire copy of the live site (database included) and get it working fully on your local machine or a development server. Then run the update and make sure everything still works as before. If things don’t work, remember what you changed to make it work, and how to replicate your changes when you do it to live.

Re-importing entries into another build will be more hassle than its worth in my opinion.

Thanks Nick, I guess the update.php in newer versions takes care of some of these points?

update.php makes any database changes between versions, and should also remind you if certain core extensions need to be updated, yup. But it’s best to verify them yourself to be sure.

Ok great, thanks. The easier the better ;)