Search

Nils,

how about hiding the “Create new” button when a new entry is being created/edited?

My case is like this:

The iframe with a subsection shows two necessary fields and a user needs to scroll down the window just to click on a “Create entry” button. So, it is pretty intuitive to click on a “Create new” instead of that. What’s more, this subsection contains CKE which has its own scrollbar :) It may be a source of unwanted “clicks”.

Who wants to create a new entry while creating one? :) In addition, this button (“Create new”) doesn’t even work while creating.

Hmm? How about that?

I’m not sure if hiding is a good idea but what about giving it an inactive state?

I would love it :)

And another “graphic design” thing. I think it is not intuitive that you must click on a “filter” text field to unwrap a list of entries. Maybe some little “down arrow” would be good? You know, something that makes usual, not geeky people think “wow, if I click here, it will unwrap”.

I asked my friend to judge if my CMS is intuitive and this was his second big complain (after the “Create new” issue).

There is also a third issue but I guess that it is hard to achive. Let’s say, I want to update a Person entry and add a new image. I go into some Person’s entry, add an image and then… I go out :)And forget about saving (which is normal because I have already ADDED an image, I confirmed it, why should I do it one more time?) Honestly, when testing my CMS I did it like 3 times! And of course, every person has it’s own images and there is no unwrapping list so it just gets stuck in the CMS not visible to nobody except for administrators.

And another “graphic design” thing. I think it is not intuitive that you must click on a “filter” text field to unwrap a list of entries. Maybe some little “down arrow” would be good? You know, something that makes usual, not geeky people think “wow, if I click here, it will unwrap”.

What’s the filter text you are talking about?

There is also a third issue but I guess that it is hard to achive.

We have been talking about automatic saving before but currently I don’t see a perfect solution for this problem.

What’s the filter text you are talking about?

The one in the attachment.

Attachments:
filter_field.png

Ah, right. There should be the text “Browse” in it. Is it just the screenshot or don’t you have that label? Nevertheless you are right that the UI needs improvements in this area.

It’s a screenshot and I’ve never seen this button ;)

Nils, I must say that this extension is making Symphony 200% more useful for using in my next project.

Nils,

Have you ever thought about using the Bi-Link field as the base for Subsection Manager?

I’d love to see the idea of being able to look in the child section and see which entries each child is related to.

Where would you like to see these relations? In the section overview?

Hi all,

Is it possible to not auto-select the first item in the subsection list if I leave it open?

I have 4 image fields…and only the first one is required, so If I leave the other 3 open, it shouldn’t auto-select the first one in the list to fill up the empty 3.

thanks

@Strangerr: I’m not sure if I fully understand your setup. Can you please elaborate.

I got it working now. seems to be a minor problem with my setup.

Hi,

May be, that this is not related to Subsection manager, but maybe you/someone can help.

I’ve ran into weird unicode issue (see attached image).

Upper (already selected earlier) entries shows correct, while lower drawer is completely messed up.

When I select something new from the drawer, then it moves up and is still messed, but, when I save the entry, then on next load it magically becomes correct again (because it is now in the upper “league”, doh :).

I’ve been fighting this “Orcs vs. Humans” issue for past 5 hours, but to no avail. Double checked DB encodings, checked on different browsers/computers, almost reinstalled everything, etc.

Must notice, that it works fine on localhost (Wamp). Issue appeared after copying updated stuff to server.

Sym 2.1.1 / SM 1.0.1

Any ideas? k.

Attachments:
Capture_unicode.JPG

If it works on your localhost, but not on the server, check the differences between your phpinfo() for each server. The problem may lie there.

Compared both infos, but there is no big difference. Some ‘decimal’ version differences for some modules and such, but that is absolutely normal, I think.

Server is pure mainstream “classic” - Apache/redhat/php 5.2.10 with all the necessary extensions enabled.

‘mbstring’ is also present, if Sym uses it.

Everything else in this same installation runs fine: http://www.narvesen.lv/

NB: unicode issue is strictly in backend only and ‘strictly?’ visual. All DS outputs etc is flawless.

@Komb

Rather than a PHP issue it’s like a MySQL one. I’ve had this before, you need to check the encoding/collation each table AND column, as well as the encoding for the connection between PHP and MySQL…

@jstar198

I’ve n-checked this already, as this was also my first idea, where to look.

And I believe, that, if it was something related to DB, then everything would be crippled, not just “drawer-side” of the Submanager. Top and bottom are using same data from same DB cells, with same php connection, isn’t it?

It smells more like some php string manipulating routine, which is used for bottom data (and not for top) is broken.

But, unfortunately, i don’t have a clue, where to actually look and “blind targeting” is not the best debug choice, as it is a live site, not my private test-bed.

Thanks for Your input, though.

k.

When you select a messed up item from the drawer does it show up correctly in the selection?

Woo-hoo, Nils is here! :)

No, it is not showing correctly, until the whole entry is saved (thus page is reloaded). Then it becomes correct.

update Also, on creation of new item, it goes up incorrect, but afterwards shows normal.