Search

This thread might look a bit like an ad, but I’ve had a long standing frustration with applications that force me to duplicate my efforts. Anything that is able to sync, distribute and reuse data has my vote.

Back to Simplenote, I’ve been trying out the sharing features. There are some validation errors, but other than that, the code is quite clean, using an HTML5 doctype.

https://simple-note.appspot.com/share/e5919

The Simplenote application on the iPad integrates very well with Mail, so it’s possible to compose a message in iA Writer, paste into Simplenote and email to Posterous while syncing with JustNotes on my Mac.

For example: http://bauhouse.posterous.com/about-the-advocacy-working-group

If we can get rid of the validation errors, it probably wouldn’t be difficult to pull shared notes into Symphony.

Let’s see if support is responsive: https://simple-note.appspot.com/publish/5c700

Bauhause, I think the topic is 2-fold;

• tools to enhance the symphony workflow on multiple devices (like simplenote)
  • tools to get your symphony content across different communities

For this last one, up till now we mostly assumed to put our content in the different communities, and then import (dynamic DS, xml import, or XML-RPC at creation) feeds from the cloud.

But then a new need arises; tools to get your content across different communities, before it’s imported into symphony. Hence posterous tumblr or ping.fm are great because they auto post. In fact the intention of posterous is that all your content starts there (tweets, blogentries,…), so its like the ‘master’ splitted up to other speciality communities.

So we can turn the problem around: we could input all our content into symphony as a hub, and then make symphony post it to ping.fm, that posts it to all other communities. (facebook, twitter,…)
In a way it makes more sense, because you have a searchable database, and also because you might send out only portions of your content out (ea title and body, but not your 12 custom fields that make sense on your install, but not on facebook)

A ping notifier extension based on the twitter notifier one coudl do just that…

I was just given access to the Simplenote API.

@newnomad, that’s exactly what I’m thinking: Symphony as a publishing hub. But not just social media. To all sorts of different publishing formats: PDF, ePub, RSS, HTML + social media. It’s about being smarter about the bits that we use and create, making things a whole lot simpler, and keeping documents in a format that is the most accessible format possible (TXT). But at the same time enabling the transformation of those bits into other forms.

https://simple-note.appspot.com/publish/b27f2

Symphony as a publishing hub.

This is getting really interesting when we think of magazines and newspapers which need to find ways to distribute their content across different output devices (analog and digital). Newspapers will change, books will change, new touch devices similar to the iPad will come into the market. And there is a simple wisdom that was posted on Twitter lately:

HTML is free, open, easy, mature, standardised and flexible. Why would you use another format for publishing distributable, online content? /by @leonpaternoster

Symphony can be used to transform content to HTML, XML, ePub or any other structured data. It really is a content hub – and it should be used as such. You only need a good concept to combine content creation or integration (this is what Stephen is talking about) and digital distribution (this is what most of the traditional publishers don’t get yet). I still don’t understand why publishers are creating apps for a closed system like the iPad where they really could build on top of the web with similar results and better interoperability.

This is a very interesting thread.

If I follow, the hub concept could be summarized as:

1. Domain-specific content creation tools post content into Symphony
  2. Symphony serves as as authoritative repository for the content (utilizing cloud storage for media, etc. if needed)
  3. Symphony either exposes that content in another form for general consumption, or posts it out to subscribing services (a la PuSH or webhooks)

There isn’t really much standing in the way of doing this, correct? The only real issue I see is the lack of a web-accessible data layer API using a standard protocol (I suggest atompub).

Once you start modeling these inputs and outputs semantically, you get into very interesting territory.

Maybe looking at commercial products for asset management, like fsi server and Yawah’s iRez, now Adobe scene7, can inspire us…

I also have been looking for web-based (from the ground up, not as an afterthought) alternatives for filemaker or access, lik eothers and found ifreetools, more info at the blog its like filemaker for the web…

getting back OT:
some really cool ios clients:
posterous
tumblr
wordpress

It would be pretty cool if there were such an app for integration with Symphony. But Symphony’s flexibility would make it difficult to create a tool which could adapt to the different ways a Symphony site can be built.

The JustNotes Mac application has added the ability to create tags and use Markdown. It’s become my tool of choice for writing content on my Mac now, since it will now sync notes and tags with the iPad and web versions of Simplenote. Now I’m wondering about how to adapt a PHP wrapper for the Simplenote API I found on GitHub as a Symphony extension.

yeah as mentioned here before, it would really rock to have an rpc api for symphony

Just a thought: Simplenote premium gives you an RSS feed, which I have been thinking about using to get my notes into Symphony. I am writing notes in markdown in Textmate, then saving to the Notational Velocity data folder. NV is set to use unencrypted text files and to sync with Simplenote. It works well, so far.