Search

Although we really do appreciate the enthusiasm of the community, I must remind everyone that we're trying to find bugs, not add features or change things significantly. I think it might be better to focus discussion on bug-squashing now and wait until after the final release to start talking about features and inspiring extensions. Every feature request so far (in fact, nearly every feature conceivable) can be added via extensions, so don't panic if there's some specific functionality you need missing from the S2 core.

Our goal is for Symphony to solve a very specific purpose, not to become a one-stop-shop for every website administration task imaginable. The extension APIs exist to allow us to achieve this.

Many of you are wondering how X, which could be done in 1.7, can be achieved in 2.0. Aside from two relatively minor things ("archive overview"- and "custom field"-style DSs), every possible front-end that could be made with 1.7 can be done in 2.0, and there's a staggering amount of things that can be done in 2.0 that weren't previously possible. The problem right now is that in many ways S2 represents a paradigm shift in Symphony's approach, and until more screencasts/documentation are done much of this might not be apparent.

(E.g. The true successor of "Section Links" in 1.7 is "Param Output" in 2.0, which lets you link data across or within sections in either direction. The "Section Link" fields in 2.0 are probably poorly named; they are really no more than text input fields which contain a single ID value intended to be used as param output. The interface is a little clunky at the moment, but we're working on this.)

Anyway, what was I saying? Yes, please try to avoid flooding the forums with feature requests until we have the core features stable and well-understood by everyone.

Hi Scott,

Just (I know... another;)) suggestion but perhaps it would be useful to have an "issue type" field in the bug tracking system so you can flag it as an bug, new feature, or improvement? In this way you can just ignore all the enhancements until you have some breathing space :)

Having now had a chance to dabble in writing an extension I'm very impressed in the architecture, btw..

Simon

I agree with Scott. I don't think anyone knows the system well enough just yet to ask for features.

I would also like to clarify that, although not technically bugs, suggestions to improve the user interface of existing features are welcome.

It's not that easy to differ between bugs and feature requests just because nobody knows the system well enough. Are usability problems bugs or is their solution a feature requests?

I'm a bit confused about what to post and what not to post here ...

Are usability problems bugs or is their solution a feature requests?

I consider usability problems bugs. Present them as bugs.

I'm a bit confused about what to post and what not to post here ...

This is the beta forum for Symphony 2. We talk about all things Symphony 2 related. Primary focus right now is bug squashing. Let's stay focused :-)

On the bug-tracker, at the moment there are 19 open "issues". Meanwhile, there are 57 listed as "resolved". (And a mere 6 "on hold", just to complete the picture.) Looks like good evidence that effective squashing is going on! :)

David.

Looks like good evidence that effective squashing is going on!

Those were the easy ones, lol

I've found some bugs in the backend when using Opera and Safari on OS X. I can't find any bugs for it in the bugtracker, but I can't also not add to the tracker for some reason. Lewis, do you know if the bugs are known, or should I make another try with the tracker?

Try this link: http://bugs.21degrees.com.au/post.php

(You need to be signed in; see the link in the upper right corner of the bug tracker.)

There's a bit of confusion and I would like to clear it up.

Please keep bug discussions on the bug tracker. Alistair makes a good point about keeping it all in one place.

Discussion on the beta forum is not discouraged but the developers, and myself, would like to see discussions that are conducive to solidifying the core for its public release.

Lastly, I think everyone's doing an awesome job finding the bugs!

Thanks Lewis for clarifying. I renamed the title of this thread to be clearer -- the bug reports coming in so far have been fantastic, I just wanted to tell you to save your feature requests for extension developers.

Since we're aiming to keep the core minimal, talking to us about new features at the moment probably won't get you anywhere. But if you think there's a better way an existing feature could work, by all means tell us! :)