Search

I sometimes have a need to scan through all the existing extensions to see if there is one that satisfies a requirement. The current display method makes this a bit clumsy. Scroll down, load the next page, scroll down, load the next page… Would it be possible to offer an option to display all the extensions on one long page with a one-line description of each extension?

I now use the compatibility matrix to compile a list of possibilities, but I then have to look each one of them up to get a full description. The search function is not an efficient way to do this either.

removed.

the best way to search symphony extensions

edit: i just realized how awful that sounded. i wasn’t trying to pull out the ‘let me google that for you’ card, just sharing my recently discovered wisdom: google searching a site is almost always better than using their on-site search.

I too use the Compatibility list as a quick reference and I agree that the existing 12 per page view isn’t the optimum. For example the author, version, date and links use more space than the extension name and description!

The UX working group are working on some tweaks to the site homepage so I’ll add this to our todo list.

I sometimes have a need to scan through all the existing extensions to see if there is one that satisfies a requirement

display all the extensions on one long page with a one-line description of each extension

Would a single long list suit your browsing habit?

@fawx - Yes, I’ve been using that search method for some time. But I can’t depend on the right extension having the expected keyword in its title or description. Even if a search returns results how do I know it has returned the best fit?

@nickdunn - Thanks.

This is probably a more long-term request, but one thing that helps me immensely with other systems is being able to view the popularity of extensions.

As is, it seems that you pretty much have to live in the forums for a month or so before you start to see which extensions people talk about more than others. But even then, I wonder whether there are some staple extensions that veteran users don’t have issues with so they don’t get mentioned in the forums even though they are used frequently.

I don’t know if there’s a way of tracking clones or downloads from github directly, but something to track and show popularity on the overview page, and the ability to sort extensions by their popularity would be very helpful to me.