Search

A new Extension, “Data Source: Yahoo! Search BOSS” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

Add Yahoo! Search to Symphony 2!

This extension uses Yahoo! Search BOSS API to get search results and add them to XML.

Download

What a champ! We were just talking about this at work and behold!

Hehe :).

It's very basic - no support for specialized searches (like image search). But i'm waiting for suggestions, or code/patches on github.

BTW i think i posted it from wrong place (forum, instead of extensions page) or maybe i forgot to select proper category (tough i just checked, and there's no "extensions" option to select) and it's not listed on extensions page :(.

@ahwayakchih: Awesome work, mate. You rock.

I've just pushed new version to github.

Now most of the settings are full-blown parameters, so You can use things like "{$ds-sites}" for Sites filter and get different "search engines" on different pages :).

Unfortunately basic setup is now a bit harder to understand for newbie, because of Query and Page default values looking like "{$q:$url-q}". But they are set by default, so just installing and using example XSLT from help page should be easy enough to quick start.

Is there anyone who could help me with writing help text? I'm afraid that my English sucks too much to make it clear how to work with this (and google search) module :(.

I'm trying to get this to work.

I have a search bar on each page of the site so in my master utility (which is called on every page) and so I have:

div class="search" form id="searchform" action="{$root}/search" method="GET" fieldset label input type="text" id="searchinput" name="q" value="{ysboss/query}" class="cleardefault"/label label input type="submit" id="searchbutton" name="submit-search" value="" label fieldset form

and at the bottom of the master utility:

I have set up a search page for my results which has data source of YSBOSS and URL parameters q/p and on the search page I have:

<xsl:template match="/"> <ul class="entryList"> <xsl:apply-templates select="search//result" /> </ul> </xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="result"> <li><dl> <dt><a href="{clickurl}" target="_blank"><xsl:value-of select="title" disable-output-escaping="yes"/></a></dt> <dd><xsl:value-of select="abstract" disable-output-escaping="yes"/></dd> </dl></li>

</xsl:template>

But I am getting no results. My resultant search URL's (say I search for Passion) are:

/search/?q=passion&submit-search=

but nothing....

What am I doing wrong?

(Tags removed because I dont know..is this Markdown or something?)

almacmillan, check YSBOSS settings page and see if it uses "{$q:$url-q}" for query parameter.

Also debug Your search page (/search/?q=passion&submit-search=&debug) to see if there are any results returned in XML. If there are any, then You'll probably just have to fix XPath to get them to Your template.

Hi.

YSBOSS settings are {$q:$url-q} but there are no results returned in XML..?

hmm... does Your registered YSBOSS ID works ok?

How do I check that?

I set it up as generic. Is that right?

Yep, generic is ok.

When You debug XML, is there any error node with message there?

Also change:

<xsl:apply-templates select="search//result" />

to:

<xsl:apply-templates select="ysboss//result" />

You can check how XML data should look like on components page (symphony/blueprints/datasources/info/ysboss/).

Thanks ahwayakchih for this great extension!

Now I just have to wait for Yahoo to index my site.

carsten, thanks, good to hear it works :).

Doesn't Yahoo have something like Google sitemap, where You can ask them to index Your site? Also adding site to Open Directory Project may help.

Google, Yahoo and Microsoft all support the SiteMaps protocol. You can give them an XML file to explicitly declare which pages to crawl on your site. The crawler will index other pages, but it gives it a good starting point.

nickdunn, thanks for the link. I've added it to instructions visible on preferences page :).

Yahoo! have announced some changes to the BOSS API particularly that it is soon to become a paid-for service. We’ll have to wait and see but I’m not sure whether this extension will continue to work after Yahoo! make their updates.

http://developer.yahoo.net/blog/archives/2010/08/api_updates_and_changes.html