Search

Hi,

I think that the way repositories are managed on GitHub are a little bit confusing. Some repositories were forked from pointybeard and some not. Which one should I fork and watch, that from symphony-2 or pointybeard? Now with Symphony CMS organization I’m really lost.

Suggestion: Why not put and maintain it on a unique user or organization without forking?

Which one should I fork and watch, that from symphony-2 or pointybeard? Now with Symphony CMS organization I’m really lost.

I think it’s the one by “Symphony CMS”. But yes, what’s up with that?

Suggestion: Why not put and maintain it on a unique user or organization without forking?

No, that’s the whole point of Github!

It is the official one that @phoque has linked to that we should all be using.

If the repos were to be un-forked (if that is a term?) it would mean cloning the repo, removing the origin in favor of adding the new repo as the origin and pushing to that.

I think that would lose history, which is detrimental to the point of git.

I know it can get confusing, but the readme with Symphony clearly states that the symphonycms repo is now the official one.

The symphony user repo was set up before Github launched their organizations feature. Once organizations were launched, we felt it was clear that, for our purposes, it made sense to operate as an organization instead. Hence the symphonycms repos. We’ve been rolling all officially maintained repos to the organizational account, and the README covers how to update your clones.

Unfortunately, at the moment there isn’t any convenient way to forward old repos or anything like that, so we can’t just point the old repos to the new repos and call it a day. I’ve been in touch with Github support, and the best they can offer is “delete the contents of the old repos and post READMEs pointing to the new ones.”

I’m still puzzling out the ramifications of all this and the best way to move forward.

“delete the contents of the old repos and post READMEs pointing to the new ones.”

Yeah, why not? READMEs get displayed by default so everyone will see the message immediately and will find the correct repository instantly.

Plus, it’s not that you will lose anything. This is still Git, all the old commits and the old code will still be there, one git revert HEAD and you’re back to current situation.

What often confuses me is that the symphonycms user’s S2 repo is a fork of the symphony user’s repo. Could we break the fork by deleting symphonycms’s repo and recreating from scratch?

And given Alistair’s infrequent appearances these days, we need to make sure that all “official” extensions are consistently housed under the symphonycms user and don’t link to pointybeard.

From the Github docs:

Deleting a private repo will delete all forks of the repo. Deleting a public repo will not.

It doesn’t exactly say what will happen but judging from the “repository has since been deleted” messages one sees all the time on Github I’d say: nothing.

No, that’s the whole point of Github!

I know that. What I mean by without forking is to keep repos organized and not to prevent users from forking.

Could we break the fork by deleting symphonycms’s repo and recreating from scratch?

I think that’s the best solution at the moment.

Thanks @czheng and @nickdunn. It became more clear now.