Search

Is it possible to have 2 drop down menu’s that filter information and display in a textbox a serial code?

I have a potential client that is interested in such a feature. Closest example I can say is you have a list of Car manufacturers, which then populates the 2nd drop down with a list of models, which then displays a serial code in a textbox.

I’m doing that kind of thing by using nested Subsection Managers.

Sorry, it’s for the front-end? Or does that not matter? Also Ajax too.

I mean Ajax isn’t a dealbreaker, but it would help.

I’ve done something similar before with this beast of a site that had hundreds of product specs and different categories and sub categories etc…

Ah right. I thought you meant for the backend.

No sorry.

I think I can make it work anyway, as I’ve already done so, but I’ve now learnt that the Ajax thing is a must. So will need to scrub off the books.

No sorry.

I think I can make it work anyway, as I’ve already done so, but I’ve now learnt that the Ajax thing is a must. So will need to scrub off the books.

Nick,

This is so possible with Ajax, it all depends on how your data is stored in the backend.

Taking your last example, you’ll probably need the following…

1. A section for each select box link value, i.e. a set of ‘type’ sections with only a Text Input Field and select box for it’s parent.
  2. A Serial Numbers section with a field for the serial number and a Select Box Link for each ‘type’ section.
  3. A datasource for each select box.
  4. A datasource for the serial numbers section.
  5. A page for all the output with params for each select box.
  6. A page for the Ajax calls, with params for each select box.

So if you link the select box datasources to the ajax page, and use xslt to generate based on each param being present, using statements, each time a user clicks a select box on the site, it will call the ajax page with the param (option) a user selected, and filter the datasource for the next level. At the end of the options choices, the last box can show the number.

I hope this makes sense? Not very refined, half written before bed, half written at breakfast ;o)

This is great John,

I’m going to try this at the weekend, and see how it works.

Cheers pal.

Nick