Search

Hey all, I am currently using flash players on my website but I am looking for a non-Flash alternative so more devices (e.g., iPhone, iPad, etc.) can utilize my site. So far I have identified jPlayer as an option. Has anyone had any experience with jPlayer? Do any of you recommend another non-Flash player? Thank you!

jPlayer uses Flash, actually. However, they’ve been nice enough to make it HTML5 compatible through using an MP3 or AAC. My recommendation would be to go AAC as Flash can read those and for devices that don’t have Flash (iOS) they tend to have HTML5 support for that codec.

If you want to go 100% no-Flash then your only option is HTML5, which is great for any modern browser but bad for anyone with IE8 or earlier, which is still 70% or more of all web users.

However, if you are targeting mobile users, webkit-based browsers account for something like 90% of all smartphone web users (iOS, Android and BlackBerry) in which case you just have to make sure you use a codec they all support. iOS and Android both (I believe) support AAC, but don’t quote me on that.

you can choose a variety of players from this overview

Hey, thanks so much guys! I will be looking into it. Thanks again!

Hi ashrimplin,

Did you manage to integrate a no-flash player? I'm especially interested how best to set up an audio playlist. It requires use of a JavaScript API and it's quite difficult to integrate it with an XSLT template. I would have to pull from XML the source of each audio (mp3) file. I don't know how to do that.

Thanks.